Thread: How to restrict others from using my wifi

How to restrict others from using my wifi

Bought a new BSNL connection of limited plan. As according to the plan they are supposed to charge me extra amount for the extra usage therefore I am always alert about the think that I never cross the limit of my usage and also I am very much sure that from the time I bought the connection until yet I have never utilized that extra limit, then how come they are charging me for the extra usage so heavily. I already complained many time to BSNL, they tell me that there is nothing wrong from their side. About my router I would like to tell that I have a wap2 security password and therefore I can bypass it somehow. I am sure that I am the only one who knows about my password and there is no one else you can even guess out the password.

Strangely yesterday what happened was when computer system was turned off; I noticed that my router LED were blinking constantly. The problem is that my router’s LED blinks in such a way only when it is transferring DATA. I am very much worried that someone outside my place is accessing my data plan by connecting his or her system to my router with the help of wifi. I don’t know how that person might have got my password and other details but however now I am in very much in need of a security for my wifi connection. Is there anyone who can let me know a way from which I can make out and decide the radius of my wifi. Also if possible just let me know whether is it possible for me know who exactly is using my connection and utilizing me data.

Re: How to restrict others from using my wifi

First of all make sure that you put in your mac address of booth the computer system and mobile in the wifi access card list and then see to it that no other device is connected to the router even if the password is known to the other user who is using your data. You can simply find the mac address in the wifi settings that particular device.

Other thing I would like to suggest you is to disable the SSID broadcast then use the WPA2 Personal with AES with a lengthy password, by doing this you can at least make thing more secure and safe for you and much difficult for the other unknown user. Also bind the end device’s MAC address to the router. Regarding the range I would like to tell you to go further away from the antenna of your router and then check the SNR and attenuation, then check out the number of bars that you are getting. For you knowledge, router normally have a TX power of 100mW, therefore the maximum range of the wifi could be something around 10-15 m.

You can also find the number of users who are connected to your connection, most probably you can find the user list connected in your router settings. You need to simply find the exact location as it is at some different places in some different routers. In order to get your system Mac address:
    You need to go to Start > the Run > Cmd and in command prompt type: ipconfig /all. now you might find all the physical address of wireless adapter.

Above solution undoubtedly helps us but I personally doesn’t feel it as the way we want, in short they doesn’t helps us in a much convenient manner. instead of disabling the SSID Broadcast and using the WPA2 Personal with AES with a lengthy password simply try out using the WPA2 Personal with AES with a lengthy password, this thing alone might help you. Regarding the password its better suggested to try out something that is more complex but easily understood by you. Or else you can also try out any random combination of the characters, numbers, symbols and then after the creation just note down the password somewhere at your personal place. Resetting the passwords everytime proves to be always useless.

Who told you that the router blinks only during the data transmission? For your kind information, LED or the router always blink no matter what kind of transmission is taking place. Maybe it is a PC that is detecting the wifi and not being used. Its not necessary that someone is stealing your wifi. If you are not aware let me tell you that even if a wifi connection is being detected at some device the LED of the router does blinks. On your router settings where you check the current connected devices there is a page but the connectivity depends upon your router. I too had this issue once but I didn’t worried so much instead what I did was simply turned off the turned off SSID Broadcast, did MAC Address binding, also set the number of devices that can be able to connect to the router set to 1 then most importantly I used much complex password.

As only one device can connect to WiFi there is no chance of any other person or device to connect to my router. I have made it very much difficult for the user to get access to my connection.

My password is very much complex one, I mean its already a combination of several characters and symbols including number, all in all its total 10 digits. I don’t think that I need to make my password more complex any more. Once again I checked out the router LED carefully and this time I noticed that the LED actually started blinking when there was nothing turned on, not even any of the wifi device. Everything was turned off including my computer system then how come the possibility occurs of my system detecting the router. I am still unable to find #3 onto my router settings.

Always remember that complex password doesn’t always means that you need to have something that is very much unusual. You can also make usual things more complex by turning them unusual but remember that you don’t end up having something that is very much simple and easy to guess out. passwords are nothing but just combination of mix alphabets including upper and lower case numeric and special characters. Regarding #3, if you are unable to find it then there’s no such big deal in it, you need not have to worry for that. There may be possibility that your router doesn’t have that option.