Thread: accessing desktop computer while travelling with remote connection established

accessing desktop computer while travelling with remote connection established

The first thing I need to tell you all is that my remote connection is successfully established with the help of GoToMyPC. If I am not mistaken once the connection is established the system should be on all the time during the time of travelling. Suppose if the computer is automatically turned off or gets hanged there should be at least someone to come to the office and reboot the machine but let me tell you that this is just a single person office and there is no one other than me to go physically and manually do the things. I personally feel to keep the machine, cable modem and router all together on the UPS with the computer set to power on after power fail. In short I just want to reliably access the computer all the way while I am travelling or on a trip. My system has ASUS P6X58D-E motherboard and is running Windows 7 Pro. My only goal is to remotely using the web I should be able to power up the computer after a normal shut down and also I should be able to reboot the machine if the system is hanged or gets automatically locked up.

Re: accessing desktop computer while travelling with remote connection established

Ok that’s quite interesting my friend. I guess if you have a Wake on LAN then you should be probably able to do something with it. But however that should be possible only through another computer or some similar interface. Anyways I feel that remote shut down should be very much easier with it. Another solution I would like to give you is to have server running Microsoft Server 2008, after that you need to make sure that the computer you are running that requires a remote start should be running the above mentioned Windows 7 pro or anything higher to that. This would be the easiest way of doing things as server 2008 possibly has all the monitoring features and functionalities that you are supposed to call for built in.

Re: accessing desktop computer while travelling with remote connection established

First thing is that Wake on LAN is surely not going to do it, over the web its not at all possible. Once if the Card is on sleep mode and when the computer is turned off it actually doest knows how exactly to respond to the packets that are being passed over internet. as an alternative option I can say that if you motherboard that you have mentioned above in the office computer has the capability of auto turn on and off built into the BIOS and if the windows is locked up then there are still chances of the BIOS getting able to turn off the computer at the designated time. its better you consult your computer or motherboard manufacturer BIOS manual and let know all the information about the related things. Another alternative would be to have a router that is running dd-wrt as its firmware.

I think I need to give you some more detailed information to make you understand everything more clearly. My motherboard P6X58D-E is able to support Wake on LAN also both my office computer and target computer are running windows 7 pro with the current latest updates. Another thing is that my remote connection is supposed to use a netbook that is running windows XP which I guess I may upgrade after increasing the memory, this machine is the same one which is being used to access the system using GoToMyPC.

Then I have an incoming router called ZoneAlarm Z-100 that is made by checkpoint. Now its quite complicated for me to test as the target computer or you can say network is at AK whereas I am at AZ which in turns gives me only remote access to the router with whom I have never worked.

Hey I too did something similar with my remote connection. With the help of the fusion Wake On LAN I have been successfully been able to start the target computer over my local LAN. Its very much consistently starting from sleep but however I have not yet got it to always start from shutdown. This fusion Wake on LAN initially correctly reported the target computer’s status i.e. ON or OFF but now it always reports me with OFF no matter whether I start manually or with the help of Wake on LAN. Whenever start up using Wake on LAN it reported me back that it couldn’t start the computer even if it was actually possible for it to do so. Now due to this problem I doubt Fusion Work on LAN. The moment I will get a consistent result over the LAN I have planned to begin to test Work on LAN through the Linksys router that I have using the laptop and the wifi connection via my neighbor wifi.

I have found number of post on other site where people have mentioned their experience in successfully implementing and using Work on LAN with the same motherboard that you have stated. Maybe just because of your lack of experience with work on Lan and some limited knowledge with regards to the same you are stopped at this point. I would suggest you to better visit other sites or any related official site and search for enabling or making Work on Lan active. If you are luck there might be someone who will help you out with this thing.

Another alternative would be to have a router that is running dd-wrt as its firmware.
    Read a lot of dd-wrt but unfortunately never experienced it. As far as I understand I know that it is an open source freeware router os which can replace the manufacturers code , hope I provided the right information. Should I surely go for this one? When I checked out the dd-wrt site it indicated that the Linksys WRT54GS router with firmware version v1.50.3 on my LAN is supportable but unfortunately there were no listing for Z-100 used on the LAN in AK. Regarding Z-100, according to some of the forum posts it has some issue, none of the reports or posts are directly related to the Work on LAN. Anyways what I feel is that upgrading the router in AK would be the simplest and the best solution but remember that upgrade should be either to one which support Work on LAN or it could be simply converted to dd-wrt.

Enabling WOL is another thing but I think first of all you should upgrade the router that you have mentioned in AK because I personally believe that that’s the only one that is suppose to handle the work on LAN for the Clients. Another thing would be that you need Windows XP pro on that client computer just for starters which will hopefully enable some of the certain things that is needed for doing anything you do. Windows XP home would do the same so better go with Windows XP pro only. And if you really wanted to learn more about Work On LAN or if you certain need to perform enabling WOL then sure you should visit this LINK. This will help you to know more about enabling it on your machine also about those thing that are to be considered while performing the activity. Not just this you can also test WOL connection within the LAN with the help of the utility. It’s a complete tutorial.

Certain things I would like to clarify; motherboard BIOS which you are talking about always have a Start and stop or ON and OFF by RTC, you can use it as a suggestion depending upon the final configuration. Other thing I would like to say is that power off remotely has always been very much simple but somehow windows itself never has a remote power on ability.
    Recently one of my friends have told me that LogMeIn has the similar built in capability until and unless your BIOS Wake on LAN settings is enabled. Now we are able to power on any of the remote computers using this LogMein as long as they are connected to the internet or to the network.

I would suggest you to better visit other sites or any related official site and search for enabling or making Work on Lan active. If you are luck there might be someone who will help you out with this thing.
    In order to enable Work on LAN on your computer you need to just follow the below steps:
    • On the LAN adapter of your machine Choose Properties/Configure
    • To the right, Power Management tab
    • Check the second and third boxes in order to enable Work On LAN
    • Press OK until and unless you get back to the Network Connections
    • Once done the computer can normally start from Hibernate, Standby, or PowerOff modes through a special management packet. You can also test to check you set up with the help of any utility like Work On LAN Magic Packet Sender.