Go Back   TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

MSSE failure: System infected with Trojan.

Networking & Security

Old 30-03-2012

MSSE failure: System infected with Trojan.

I have Dell Dimension 3000 with Windows XP SP3 installed in it. I am not ashamed to say that I am a big time technophobic and this can be proved by the fact that I have MSSE installed in my PC apart from Spyware Doctor, MBAM,SAS which I use for second opinion scan. I also use SP XP2 one way firewall.
Still, this morning I woke to see 5 Trojans having already infected my daily scanned system. SAS removed them but my MSSE definitions were ruined. I uninstalled my MSSE and reinstalled which retained my definitions. I installed AVast free antivirus and OnlineArmor free firewall with hips etc.
Now this incident has filled my mind with lots of questions. The most basic and important one is if all the AVs and FWs Iíve installed are they efficient enough to fight Trojans and Viruses? Do all of them play fair together? Should I eliminate or add something?

Old 30-03-2012

Re: MSSE failure: System infected with Trojan.

Let me make one thing extremely clear to you. Get that straight into your head now that installing multiple AVs and FWs are not going to do anything good, itíll simply ruin your PCs capability.

I strongly recommend you to select one among Avast and MSSE and one among Online Armor and native firewall.

Your sudden detection of Trojan is nothing but a result of Software conflicts. But if you still prefer having all of them, make sure you keep them as an exception from each otherís scan.
Old 30-03-2012

That was a very kind gesture by you to entertain all my questions. I will make changes as recommended for sure. But another question thatís been ringing in my head is that all these AVs and FWs have been asking for being a part of startup. What do you suggest?
Why I am having a second thought is that itís hampering the performance to a considerable extent.
Old 30-03-2012

You have choice between security and performance. What would you chose? I am sure, itíll be security. I guess you got the answer to your question.

Let me put it in a simpler way that if they are not a part of startup how do you expect them to do their task that they are designated to perform? I think yes! They should be a part of your startup.
Old 30-03-2012

I have totally turned MSSE off. I have it on my PC but itís inactive and turned off. I have given priority to Avast which is scanning for me now. I have established Avast and OnlineArmor in the startup and have turned the native firewall off.
I hope, Avast works fine with OA and both of them are compatible to each other. As of now, thereís no issue and thereís a beautiful balance of security and performance.
All suggestions are appreciated.

TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Tags: , , , , , ,