Thread: unable to install equallogic 1.1 mem module

unable to install equallogic 1.1 mem module

hello guys, I am not finding any replies or answers on other sites and so posting this thread. Hope it is appropriate section. So I am making some hard attemptys to configure the most recent 1.1 module on esxi5 but having some problems . so we are unable to install equallogic 1.1 mem module. initially i downloaded the vma 5.0 as 4.1 was not working properly. When I was starting vma 5.0 got an error about
    “Cannot initialize property
    'vami.DNS0.vsphere_management_assistant”. Then I made some attempts for downloading vcli 5.0 on another linux vm.And after running ./setup.pl it gives Can't locate VMware/VIRuntime.pm and then BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./setup.pl line 17.Are you having some suggestions as by which reason is it supposing to give such kind of error. Thanks in advance.

Re: unable to install equallogic 1.1 mem module

The first reply to this query is that you need to install MEM 1.1 and there are several ways to do this. You can do this by means of the update manager or else by copying the zip file to a VMFS datastore . you need to further manually install it on the ESXi console. You can have a close look on this issue as these are covered in the MEM admin guide.

I have following information which will help you a lot in your case. so by making use of the vCenter Update Manager:

1. you need to load the EqualLogic MEM offline bundle into the patch repository and you can do this by selecting the "Import Patches" alternative along with browsing to the dell-eql-mem-<ESX version>-<version>.zip file. I need to tell you that you need to be sure to select "Host Extension" as the type of patch.
    2. You are then able to make use of the Update Manager features so that you are able to define baselines, scan ESX/ESXi hosts, along with apply the extension module to the preferred hosts.

This was the issuesw hcih I previously solved and to add as the previous posts seems to be incomplete, you need to uninstall or configuration, and to do this , use the command line method.

If installing from the command line:

• - For ESX5, you need to copy the EqualLogic MEM offline bundle to a directory which is accessible from the ESX/ESXi server. So according to me, This can be a network share or datastore.
    • - make an Installation by making use of the vSphere CLI installation tool . this might solve your issue in some means .

Thanks for those useful replies as I am understanding the matter but I have not solved yet as the module is installed. but configuring it is a issue . after trying your method I keep getting : Could not bind vmk4 to any of the iSCSI adapters.” Can you please suggest some more means in this case.

Hey guys , I have found this on net and I would recommend that the best thing to do is manually configure iSCSI at this point. Then once you are able to connect to the array(s), MEM will tend to select the DELL path selection policy by itself .this process is very straightforward and done by means of the GUI.

To add further, you need to check one that VMK4 only has one physical NIC set to active. And regarding all other NICs in the vSwtich, you need to set it to UNUSED, as well as FAILOVER NO. further, it has come into view that the ESX only supports a 1:1 relationship between VMK port and the physical NIC.

So I think that I am now closer to the answer and need some bit help to solve it completely. So how come I have 3 paths to the volume in vsphere? As I only have some two nics vmk4 and vmnic3. I just forget to configure a storage heartbeat ip. I have to do that one or skipping will tend to solve the issue.

I have finally found it and to tell you guys . I will suggest you to reboot the server. When you first enabled iSCSI previous to configuring MPIO, it made use of the default VMK port so that it was able to connect to the group. followed by this one you bound the VMKs for MPIO and that created two new sessions. The reboot will tend to clear out the first one.

As you told about the Storage Heartbeat. You are correct, and if you lose the switch/cable which is the mode of connection to the default VMK port for the iSCSI subnet,I will say that the logins will fail, because the now dead NIC are still used for ICMP replies as well as SYN packets. So you can try with this thing hope you get a proper hint.