Thread: Mac system get infected with malware after codecm update in safari

Mac system get infected with malware after codecm update in safari

I face a weird issue recently while playing some online videos. There was a popup which asked for codec-m plugin update. Only after that it was possible to play video. So did the same. Downloaded the plugin and installed in my system. But after that instead of video play the entire system messed up. Safari is super slow and does not respond fast while opening up or viewing any website. I am not able to figure out what actually happened. This was a video codec I think and it must not create such a mess. Also many time I get a security certificate warning while visiting website. I am totally confused what happened to my browser. What should I do know to make the system work as it was working before. Is this any kind of virus or something.

Re: Mac system get infected with malware after codecm update in safari

This is a malware. By mistake you had installed malware in your system which is causing the browser to crash. Hope you have a good antivirus for mac. Run that and get rid of the same.

You must never update stuff from internet. Recently many systems were infected with active x component update which comes with a malware. This was later on fixed. Even today on many video sharing site you will be asked for updating the codec otherwise you cannot play any video. Once you clicked and you are infected malwares. One thing you can do is try to re-install safari. If that too does not work then you might need to use other browser. Anyhow mac systems are secure against malware but due to some latest malware even mac system are affected. The only way to get completely rid of this is to clean your system entirely. After formatting your system entirely you can get rid of the same.

I hope only installation is not the right solution for fixing the malware problem. Try to look for the download of codec-m plugin. There might be a way to uninstall it from software manager. Anyhow you must use some kind of antimalware tool that can help you to stay away from such threat.

This malware are not easily removed once infected in your system. You can face issues like redirection issue, or slow system and the system will keep on slowing down as more malware enter your system. It is recommended that first you must try to find the setup of the same. If it is available you can try to remove it. There are certain mac uninstaller which can be used to remove this malware or else you might need to go for entire operating system re-installation.