Thread: Not able to resolve DNS for my site

Not able to resolve DNS for my site

I have been trying to set up a server at my home but I’m unable to do that because of some issues resolving DNS for my site. I am using Windows server 2008 and have a split DNS system. I have DrayTek Vigor 2920n with 5 static IPs.
    Network config:
    - Internal Domain Controller
    - External Domain Controller
    - Read-Only external Domain Controller in DMZ on IP #2
    - IIS Web Server on IP #3 with port forwarding for 80/443

The issue is, if I get on the RODC VM I can't browse

Re: Not able to resolve DNS for my site

Just to check the issue, try the IP address “173.194.35.20” on let me know what you get. Also, let me know if ‘Ping’ is ON! Please check your DNS status on your intodns.com . it’ll give you a detailed report about the issue.

I tried browsing to that IP along with yahoo.com and a few other sites with no success. Surprisingly the only site I was able to browse to was my web server IP #3. I was able to get to the default IIS site.

Intodns.com states that my RODC on IP#2didn’t respond. It’s my IP#2 which contains DNS entries for ns1 and ns2 for mydomain.com. If I get on the RODC VM I can ping out but can't browse (at first I couldn't even ping out but enabling recursion on the external DC fixed that). It seems strange that I can ping but not browse.

Yes that indeed is a strange phenomenon. Anyways, are you sure there’s no firewall blocking your connection?I you traceroute from that server, does it work?

Try doing this: tracert: -d www.google.com

Tracert worked perfect. It traced my routers gateway 192.168.1.1 as the first IP and the second IP was my ISP gateway. I also tried turning my firewall off and checking my windows firewall setting it appeared correct having rules to allow port 53. After which I even tried turning my Windows firewall off and restarting it; didn’t help. I was still not able to browse and intodns reported the same.

I did a test of putting my web server into DMZ as well on IP #3 and got a similar result being unable to browse on the VM however I was still able to see the IIS default page when browsing to IP #3 directly.
    Anything else I can do?

By the way, it seems that it’s responding now in DMZ. The only thing I changed was the DNS servers listed on my modem to use OpenDNS instead of my ISPs DNS.

Surprisingly, there are 3 A entries for mydomain.com on my wxernal DC. (One pointing to internal DC, one to external DC and one to my web server’s publicIP). I tried deleting them but they come back after that.

I think, I understood what exactly is your issue.
    As far as 3 DNS entries coming back by themselves is concerned it is because you might have had one DNS entry for your public static IP of webserver, then the other two entries might be coming from your n/w interfaces.

To fix the problem you’ve got to go to:
    1. - Network adapters
    2. - right click interface and properties
    3. - click IPv4 and go to properties
    4. - advanced
    5. - DNS tab
    6. - uncheck "Register this connection's addresses in DNS"

Also add the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/services/Tcpip/RegistrationEnabled type DWORD value 0.