Thread: E4200 media server becomes unavailable for all devices most of the time

E4200 media server becomes unavailable for all devices most of the time

Yesterday morning bought new E4200 media server at my place with a 750GB attached hard disk. After I did a quick scan I noticed that the media server is now unable to be visible for my any of the devices.

I was able to connect my xbox and laptop to this media server, I noticed the connection was established only for some 1 or 2 hours but then then suddenly the server became unavailable. Can any one help me out please; I somehow wanted to get my media server visible.

Re: E4200 media server becomes unavailable for all devices most of the time

This issue occurs due to the some of the USB drivers that actually go into a power saving mode after few moments which in turns results into causing the similar issue which you already explained above. Changing those settings complete depends upon brand and model of the drive, but however it includes:
    • The implementation of the software that surely comes up with the drive
    • Downloading the software from the developer’s site of the drive

Hey I do have the same problem. Even I bout the same brand media server for certain purpose. I have Xbox 360 and a laptop that are currently connected to this E4200 media server, but the issue is that the media server virtually not connected.
    Till now the only option I have got is to reboot the router in order to bring the media server back online, but even if the media server is online I cant see all the music and videos displayed on it. Anyways Currently I have uploaded some of the music and video to my hard drive. When I start up a quick scan everything comes back to the same abnormal condition, I mean to say that the media server again gets invisible or disconnects.

Surely the issue is not just limited with the media server in fact it can also be with other related and connected hardware. Your drive becomes many a time inaccessible for the use. If the case in not that then the issue may be with the media folders that are being scanned. I would only suggest you to first check out whether your drive itself is working fine or not, make sure that it is always awake especially if it’s a Seagate.
    May I know how exactly you have connected your router, did you used Cisco Connect software or you just tried setting it up without using any software by manually. I hope you didn’t made any changes in router set up page.

I can surely say that this is actually not the case; I personally feel that the disk is very much fine and also accessible from the FTP side. Its only the media which has stopped being accessible.

Instead of thinking a lot and breaking your head just try to reboot your 4200 in order to get the media server again in the online mode. This would do some trick instead of turning it on and off from the configuration screen. Configuration screen will probably not get it visible in anyway.

I have come up with some interesting research and tests. Even I had the same issue as of similar to yours. But I never kept quit instead I use to do lot or trial and error kind of things. Recently in order to eliminate the issue what I did was tried to reduce the size of the drive until and unless I get to the mere of 250GB hard drive which did worked for a while.

However whenever I try to use the memory stick, everything seems to be working fine. Ultimate what left with me was just a 32GB stick but the issue was somehow eliminated which made me feel quite good.