Thread: Cisco Linksys E4200 2.4GHz band is not working due to overheating

Cisco Linksys E4200 2.4GHz band is not working due to overheating

I have recently installed E4200 at my place where the ambient temperature is a bit high but then I have made sure that the router is under shade and it not exposed to the sun directly but then the problem that I am facing is that the router gets overheated after 15 minutes and then the 2.4GHz band stops working as well. I am not able to find out the cause of the same is there anyone who can help me out with it??

re: Cisco Linksys E4200 2.4GHz band is not working due to overheating

I have recently installed E4200 at my place where the ambient temperature is a bit high but then I have made sure that the router is under shade and it not exposed to the sun directly but then the problem that I am facing is that the router gets overheated after 15 minutes and then the 2.4GHz band stops working as well. I am not able to find out the cause of the same is there anyone who can help me out with it??
    As per the specification of Cisco Linksys E4200 it should be kept under 104F, I think that it might be more in the area that you have installed it regardless of the shade. I think that you should installed it somewhere indoor to check out what is the issue actually, I think that is the first workaround that you should try out.

Even I was going to suggest you the same, router should be placed indoor and not outdoor and there are possible chances of heat travelling to it even if you have placed it under the shade. You should better move it to a cooler location, as far as the 2.4GHz band is concerned if it is not working then I think that there is something wrong with the router but then to confirm the same you should check it out indoor. Juts check it out and then post back the response that you get for further help.

Hey guys thanks for the same even I think that this is due to the router getting heated, the temperature here are raising now a days as well, I also wanted to share that when the router is working fine then the 5 GHz band connects at much higher speed as compared tp that of the 2.4 Ghz band , the 2.4 Ghz is lacking in internet download speed as well as compared to the 5 GHz band ,anyways is there anything I can do about the high ambient temperature rather than keeping it indoor and all??? Or is there any outdoor wireless router or any other recommended access point??? Any further help for the same will be highly appreciated.

In that case you can check out Cisco Small Business there are some better ones as well, they are meant for outdoor access points if you want then you can also place it to a place where you can attach an outdoor antennas, I think that will be the best option I have found a no of people using Outdoor antennas for E series Cisco routers as they do not have external antennas nor an accessible connectors but then I will like to inform you that it won’t be cheap and will cost you handsome money. If you have any further doubts with the router overheating then you can contact the tech support and address them the same scenario and see what they have to say about the same, there are much chances of it getting overheated as it is placed out door. Just contact them and find it out.

I have been facing the same issue with Cisco Linksys E4200 I had bought the same from best Buy and I don’t know why the unit is getting overheated after half an hour even when I have installed it indoor, I don’t think that this issue is just because of the outside temperature that is making it overheated in your case as well. Other than this Is has been losing connection, not matter if I am using it on 5 GHz band or single 2.4 GHz band. I am quite sure that there is something wrong with the router itself and I am going to get it replaced, I will suggest you to do the same.