Thread: Wireless connection is not working in Windows XP

Wireless connection is not working in Windows XP

I am facing issue with my wireless network connection, I no longer get a list of wireless networks in range. But when I try to connect I receive the following message:Windows cannot configure this wireless connection If you have enabled another program to manage this wireless connection, use that software. If you want Windows to configure this wireless connection, start the Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC) service. For information about starting the WZC service, see article 871122 in the Microsoft Knowledge Base on the microsoft.com Web site.Previously I could view the wireless networks in range. However, after unsuccesfully loading my SBC/Yahoo DSL/wireless gateway software, I apparently changed some settings that I can't change back and no where on the MS website is there anything that discusses my particular predicament. Sure, there are articles that seem to relate but in reality don't apply.

Re: Wireless connection is not working in Windows XP

It happens very often that when you put a wireless card in your computer you can not access the ability to manage connections. Sounds like the SBC/Yahoo software may have turned off Wireless Zero Configuration service. The article 871122 gives instructions on how to turn it back on.

Conversely it is possible that the management software, supplied with the card, we meet and you prefer to use the one supplied with Windows XP. Unfortunately some software disable this service, which is obviously reactivated. I had a similar problem and applied the steps to start the WZC service. BUT I have to go through these steps whenever I restart the computer. Is there a way to start the WZC so the I don't have to go through these steps whenever the computer restarts.

This worked for Windows XP. First click on the wireless icon on the desktop. It will open the box for Wireless Network Connection-Choose a wireless network. On the left side of this box you will see Related Task....under this click on Change the order of preferred networks. At this point you have opened the box "Wireless Network Properties" now look below and check mark the box next to "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings after this go to the bottom and click OK. Now close the box. Presto !!!!!! Good Luck everyone & I hope you find this information as being helpful.

For those with Category View must first click Performance and Maintenance icon and then click Administrative Tools, for who has the classic view clicks directly on the latter item. Yes, this works, although I find it better to go to Control Panel, then Administrative Tools, then Services, then click on WZC and start the service. The problem is, it resets when you restart the computer which basically means you have to go through this exercise whenever you start up and connect to wireless. Does anyone know how to prevent this happening.

It 'very simple, and once you learn the procedure is also done with a quick look: just click on the Start menu (bottom left), and click Control Panel.. Setting Windows Zero Configuration (WZC).Most Wireless Clients Cards (Laptop/computer) can be configured by a Manufacturer Wireless Utility that comes with the card, or Windows Zero Configuration (WZC) It is important that the Wireless should be managed only with one application. You can use the Original Utility, or WZC. When one is used the other has to be Off (Not loaded into memory and not maintained active Windows service). Disabling the Manufacturer Wireless Utility should be explained in the Wireless Cards document. The following describes ho w to Check, and switch WZC On. The same principle applies in case you need to switch it Off, choose the Off/Stop options while you are at the menus (the same method can be used to configure other services too).
    • Click Start and Run
    • Type into the Run box "services.msc" (without the quotation).
    • Scroll down and look for the service Wireless Zero Configuration
    • Double Click on the Service, Screen Shot of the services. Make sure that it is Started and that the startup type is set to automatic. If the Service did not Started, or and is
    • Not set to Automatic. I stop for a while WZC from this run service.msc and disable and stop and automatic WZC and start finally for refresh WZC.