Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

How to setup VPN on Netgear DG834 ADSL Modem/Router

Networking & Security

Old 09-03-2012

How to setup VPN on Netgear DG834 ADSL Modem/Router

Recently I have started using the NetGear DG834 ADSL Modem/Router. I have never seen a system configured like this before and this netgear device done an excellent job. Firmware version is v3.01.32. Now I can access PCs over internal network which are connected to the router (by Ethernet, DHCP allocated IP's). Most of the systems are Apple Macs, running OS-X. But I also want to to connect from my iPhone.

Old 09-03-2012

Re: How to setup VPN on Netgear DG834 ADSL Modem/Router

Some routers have built a VPN server. There is also a VPN server router but can have but one (capable VPN) connection through VPN. And there is "router" which does not deal with VPN connection. IPsec stands for IP Security. Is a set of protocols for encryption of IP communications? There is also the older PPTP protocol. With a VPN connection can decide whether it is done with PPTP or IPsec. And because the problems lie. The router must be able to handle the logs. If a router is a VPN server before it gets even more complicated.
Old 09-03-2012

NetGear is unfortunately not known for stability and functional diversity in the VPN area, but usually only for stability in the low price range. Either way, however, should be in each case, a VPN client to connect to the router (router OS should be up to date to possibly exclude from NetGear VPN bugs).
Old 09-03-2012

How many will ever have to leave a PC at office or at home on a VPN server that is running only because, sometimes, we need a remote vpn access. Another thing, the security risk of keeping open numerous ports on the firewall to access the different services and different machines in our LAN (vnc, ftp, http, etc.).
Tired of these situations and wondered if my router Netgear DG834G could itself become a VPN server. OpenVPN firmware and this is the answer.
Old 09-03-2012

As far as I know that each and every version of Netgear DG834 and DG834G support VPN termination and that is even possible with the latest firmware available now. The VPN termination means, now these routers are configured with another VPN terminator in order to make a VPN tunnel. It means that 5 real-time users can access the routers to create a tunnel to a VPN client for example NETGEAR's VPN Client. The DG834 as well as DG834G can also make "Box-to-Box" VPN connections.
Old 09-03-2012

Since the beta firmware v 2.10.09, the Netgear DG834 (G) establishes 5 tunnels VPN (Virtual Private Networking). A VPN tunnel allows a secure, encrypted connection between your local network and a LAN or a remote computer. Only the exchange of data in Main Mode is available for now. Therefore:
  • Only the establishment of a VPN tunnel between two DG834 (G) or between a DG834 (G) or other remote VPN router is possible.
  • Establishing a VPN tunnel between a DG834 (G) and a remote PC via VPN Client is only possible if the remote PC does not belong to a network with a router using NAT.

TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Tags: , , , , , , ,