Thread: VPN connection from iPad to the Netgear FVS318v3 network

VPN connection from iPad to the Netgear FVS318v3 network

Does anyone know whether it is possible to establish a VPN connection from an iPad to get it work with network configured in the Netgear FVS318v3 router. The FVS318v3 already setup on network and working great with ProSafe VPN client. Now it’s the turn of iPad.

Re: VPN connection from iPad to the Netgear FVS318v3 network

I would advise you to take the client software from Netgear. It's probably different, but more complicated. Otherwise, there are detailed explanations on the establishment of VPNs with Netgear on the page. If you want to connect you with a network firewall, but I would only ask the admin of the firewall if this is all about, or you lock out its firewall anyway.

Recently I have tested the iPad's Cisco compatible VPN client using this router in MODE_CFG/X-Auth PSK mode but it doesn’t help me out. I think that the Netgear do not allow you to enforce its SA policy meant for LAN and on the other side the iPad client is requesting 0.0.0.0/0 as remote network. So due to this it fails. Also there is no workaround for this. You should look for a new firmware.

What unique to all router manufacturers is the L2TP/IPsec not get their act together. If you have a router that can correct any problems it comes with Windows and IOS. In contrast, all the VPN clients from manufacturers behave strange. I would also advise against LANCOM because they are too expensive for what they do, the configuration drives to madness and PPTP encryption with no runs but one wants to use.

The router is generally recommended, because it is a device gets the five gigabit ports, 802.11n WiFi and a USB port. The configuration on the router consists of two steps, setting up DynDNS and the PPTP service. Thus the VPN connection can be established despite a possibly changing IP of the router. In order to configure VPN on iPad / iPhone.

Under Settings -> General -> Network, the new VPN must be created.

The switch "for all data" will result in attempting to activate all the apps (eg mail) to communicate over the VPN. If the switch is turned off can be accessed specifically for local addresses used in the apps, which is then routed according to the VPN