Thread: New networks added to ZoneAlarm Trusted Zone automatically

New networks added to ZoneAlarm Trusted Zone automatically

It seems to me that my computer is suffering from several serious problems with ZoneAlarm 10.1.065 and it is all about my networks. The problem is the new networks will automatically placed into the Trusted zone when they are found and sometime even before the New Network Found Alert/Dialog appears. Even if I reject to add this when New Network Found Alert/Dialog appears, it will remain in the Trusted zone. I have t manually edit the settings to place it again in the Public Zone. The issue started with the new update. The system is running Windows XP Pro SP3

Re: New networks added to ZoneAlarm Trusted Zone automatically

I have already contacted Zonealarm regarding this issue but no reply from their side yet. When I had the same issue I tried using "Exclude networks from the Trusted zone upon detections" under Advanced Settings but it didn’t help to change the settings. I am looking for more options and answers. I will perhaps try completely removing and reinstalling it. So far I didn’t get any achievement. When I get anything I will surely post it back.

It seems to me that the network was previously in or may be added to the Trusted zone when you have first installed the ZoneAlarm. The antivirus program might have picked up the IP range and then it approved it automatically when system detects the network.

It seems to me that the problem with the firewall. In order to get the better result it is always suggested to make use of hardware firewall and a software firewall in case if you are connecting from router. There is a good reason behind that. The hardware firewall will send and receive anything out to the network. This will not provide good protection. The software firewall is completely different from this and it will not allow you to send packet directly.

There is a good setting in the ZoneAlarm which will you prevent your system from automatically add a new network. When the New network found pop-ups appears, it will not going to add directly to the Trusted Zone anymore. To set this:
    • First of all launch the ZoneAlarm and go to the Firewall panel on the left.
    • Click the Main tab >Advanced button.
    • Go to the Network Settings. There you need to check either the Include networks in the Trusted Zone upon detection radio button otherwise the Exclude networks in the Trusted Zone upon detection.
    • After that select OK.

One thing you always have to keep in mind that, there is no way you can remove or active network connection. Once the subnet has already been detected, there is no chance or no way that sytem shows you network detection popup alerts.
    • If you select “Exclude networks from the Trusted Zone”, it will going to add new detected networks to the public zone or UNtrusted Zone.
    • If you select “Include networks in the Trusted Zone”, it will automatically put all net networks to the Trusted Zone when they are detected.

What version of ZoneAlarm you have installed in your computer? One thing sure that you will get Network Settings tab only if you have a paid versions of ZoneAlarm. However to solve the issue, you may try resetting the database. To do this:
    • Simply long press the Ctrl and Shift keys together.
    • As holding both keys Right click on ZA icon on system tray
    • Select 'Reset' from the menu.
    • Again select Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box.
    • Restart your system and go through the onscreen configuration as provided.

So far I have tried the following things with my ZA
    • resetting
    • booting in Safe Mode, etc.
    • clean install

But none of them make any changes to the program or to the system. it seems like this new version of ZA is too 'intelligent'. There are no settings to disable automatic setting of the Trusted Zone. I think only paid version has these options.