Thread: HP BL620c G7 is not able to get Virtual Connect Assigned MAC Addresses

HP BL620c G7 is not able to get Virtual Connect Assigned MAC Addresses

I have been using c7000's for using VC Assigned MAC addresses for all NICs which are on C and D but then I don’t know why non-VC assigned address is getting applied to VMware 4.1 servers in my case and it is not able to get Virtual Connect Assigned MAC Addresses, I have tried upgrading to iLO 3 FW 1.20 but then it did not helped, is there anyone who can help me out???

Re: HP BL620c G7 is not able to get Virtual Connect Assigned MAC Addresses

I have been using c7000's for using VC Assigned MAC addresses for all NICs which are on C and D but then I don’t know why non-VC assigned address is getting applied to VMware 4.1 servers in my case and it is not able to get Virtual Connect Assigned MAC Addresses, I have tried upgrading to iLO 3 FW 1.20 but then it did not helped, is there anyone who can help me out???
    I just wanted to know that have you tried resetting the iLO or reseating the blades to check if it is making any difference, if not then try out the same and then let me know what you get, other than this also let me know the solutions that you have tried so far so that I don’t suggest you the same as it will be a waste of time.

I have tried those things but then they did not helped I don’t know if it is a VMWare (ESX 4.1) problem or Virtual Connect (v3.18) problem, other than the above solution I have also tried pulling out the OA's as well as the OA sleeve and I have also contacted the HP as well but then they were not able to help me out with their workaround, is there any other effective solution that I can try out to get things work fine??? Any further help for the same will be highly appreciated.

In that case I just wanted to know that what are you getting in the server profile, have you checked it out if not then check it and see if the MAC is matching with what you are getting in the ESX or it is just different, just check it out and then let me know for further help.

I have checked out the VCM and within it the server profile is showing them as HP Assigned ranges where as the OA and O/S are able to see them properly and only the C and D Flexnics are appearing to be factory assigned MACs and this is making me think that there is either something wrong with the VMWare (ESX 4.1) or with the Virtual Connect (v3.18). what do you think about the same???

Have you checked if the server profile is showing the actual MAC addresses, if not them check it out, actually in my case I am able to see it and that the way others should see it as well, in my case I am at v3.30, I think that you can try out updating the server firmware and see if that is helping you out.
    Reply 6
    I will suggest you to better ssh into VC and after that get the information about the below:
    • Show version
    • Show domain
    • Show profile

Make sure that you are getting the profile name and also get the vmnic address from ESX/ESXi, just get these things and then attach them in a notepad file and then post them here so I can have a better idea of the issue that you are facing, just post it here for further help.

In my case the version is shown as below:
    HP Virtual Connect Management CLI v3.18
    Build: 3.18-3 (r46087) Apr 1 2011 17:45:49
    (C) Copyright 2006-2011 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.
    All Rights Reserved

I have attached the vmnic address from ESX/ESXi, just check them out and see if you could help me out.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I have checked out the same and it shows that vmnic is having VC_Assigned MACs in your case but then you profile is having only 8 ports and if you are willing to get rest of vmnics to show VC_Assigned MACs the n you will have to right click at profile ports and will have to create 8 more ports and after that the other vmnics will get the VC_Assigned MACs. Hope that helps.