Thread: ESET Smart Security 5 not working properly with Windows 7 Homegroup

ESET Smart Security 5 not working properly with Windows 7 Homegroup

Hello friends, I am having the problem with connecting homegroup computers, I am trying to connect desktop and laptop trough wireless router and both of the systems are having the ESET Smart Security 5 and filtering mode is been set to automatic mode with exceptions (user-defined rules), where the subnet is been added to trusted zone and also in addresses excluded from active protection (IDS). On both of the system I am getting the port scanning attack from the other computer. I wanted to solve this, please help me. Thank you.

re: ESET Smart Security 5 not working properly with Windows 7 Homegroup

The Eset is been working on the problem, that it is not working on Windows 7 Homegroup. Well I would suggest that you better add the TZ subnet on to list of addresses excluded from active protection (IDS) which is there in Zone Setup, and then you might not get the message again.

I would suggest one method, just enable logging of blocked connections in the IDS setup then you start capturing network communication with Wireshark, if then also it reproduce the same problem then you stop the capturing and also you disable logging, now create a package (archive) which should have the Wireshark log, exported firewall log to a text file and also the ESS configuration. So just try this.

I wanted to tell that Homegroups are those which do not work properly with the 3rd party firewalls, I also familiar with the problem which occurring on other products. I was having link of the Microsoft which has told that there will problem with the 3rd party firewalls, I do not know which link it, but you can check on Microsoft website.

I am also having the Desktop and laptop having Windows 7 professional 64-bit. I have set the homegroup IP address on to ESET Trusted Zone. When I am boot the desktop computer then homegroup is not able to connect. So I have to disable the ESET firewall then again enable it, then homegroup is connected, but it is not happening all the time.

If you are having the IP 6 then works very well in Homegroup and also one more thing which I have noticed is that the trusted networks which I am having are IP 4, so due to which it is giving the problem.

I have founded that the Homegroup is using SVCHOST.EXE, I am having the solution to solve it, below is the method to solve it, so better follow that,
    • Just leave all homegroups on your system which you are having it
    • Then you go to ESS advanced settings, in that go to Rules and Zones
    • Then in the Settings select the "Rules and zones editor" field
    • Click on the Rules tap
    • Host processes for Windows system services
    • Now right click on “block outgoing demands of Web Services Discovery (WSD events) for svchost.exe" and DISABLE or TURN OFF
    • Set the firewall in "AUTOMATIC WITH EXCEPTIONS" mode
    • Now you create new homegroup on one and join on the other

I have tried this method and it work perfectly on both, laptop and desktop.

Even you try the method which is been provide by above user, even you can go to below link which is having the method to fix the problem and it is been provided by ESET, just check it and also there is one more link to add the trusted IP address

ESET Knowledgebase - Home Support
    ESET Knowledgebase - Home Support