Thread: Does ZoneAlarm 2012 allow network access to Firefox automatically

Does ZoneAlarm 2012 allow network access to Firefox automatically

Does ZA 2012 automatically allow Firefox to access the network like past versions did (and current versions do) for Internet Explorer? I just tried out the 2012 trial and whereas past versions asked me if I wanted Firefox to allow access, 2012 doesn't. Like with Internet Explorer, where it is automatically allowed. So, in 2012, is Firefox treated the same as IE in that it is automatically allowed to access the network?

Re: Does ZoneAlarm 2012 allow network access to Firefox automatically

As far as I know that this is a long standing feature and functionality of DefenseNet. The Zone alarm maintains a central database which contains several Known programs. These programs are automatically configured to access the network or internet anytime. Other than this if the application control is turned as AUTO, in that case known safe or unknown apps will be granted for permissions. In order to test the Firefox entries in application control. You have to enable the DefenseNet and start browsing from the firefox.

In my case I have tried the latest version of Zone alarm and I found it little more. For the first time Firefox asking me to connect to the internet. No matter how the Application control list is, it always asked for the first time when you launch. After that it is always connected. Even I delete the entries from the Zone alarm, it asks once as long as DefenseSet is Enabled.

If you are looking for a definitive answer then you should contact the ZA support. Sometimes this feature really cause much pain during the web surfing. There is no problem with the Internet Explorer and it is automatically configured to connect to the internet. If the Firefox asking the permission every time to load single page, it is extremely annoying. This is not something that will lead you to better security. The Attack from malware can execute here in any manner.

You are getting this problem due to the corrupted Firefox profile. Re-installing or creating new profile surely going to solve the problem. As far as I know that ZA web security is fully compatible with Mozilla Firefox 10.0.2. If there is no toolbar on the firefox, you should turn on the extensions. The 2 tools mainly needed are:
    • ZoneAlarm Security engine 1.5.359
    • ZoneAlarm security community toolbar 3.9.0.3.

If there is no such extensions, you can download from the official site.

If the Zone Alarm blocking Firefox after the latest update, then it sees the browser as new or even unidentified app/software. You can easily solve this issue by going into security software settings and giving the permission to Firefox so that it can access the Internet all time.

Recently the Mozilla revealed the list of security software along with instructions describing how to modify those security programs to allow internet access to the Firefox.

I really don’t like the zonealarm. It was always a big issue for me and no matter how I configure the settings; it reverts back to the same. Some settings were not recognizable at all. That’s why I deleted the zonealarm and now I am using only the Windows Firewall. It never caused any problem with any browsers. I really hate those pop-up coming out from the third party firewalls.