Thread: Getting message "Detected covert channel exploit in ICMP packet" after installing ESET security suite V5.0.95.0

Getting message "Detected covert channel exploit in ICMP packet" after installing ESET security suite V5.0.95.0

I have upgraded to ESET security suite V5.0.95.0 recently and since after that I am getting message saying "Detected covert channel exploit in ICMP packet", I have checked out the same and it is saying that I need to have personal firewall newer than 1047 where as I am having 1071, I don’t know what is the issue all about is there anyone who can help me out??

Re: Getting message "Detected covert channel exploit in ICMP packet" after installing ESET security suite V5.0.95.0

I have upgraded to ESET security suite V5.0.95.0 recently and since after that I am getting message saying "Detected covert channel exploit in ICMP packet", I have checked out the same and it is saying that I need to have personal firewall newer than 1047 where as I am having 1071, I don’t know what is the issue all about is there anyone who can help me out??
    The detection might be correct and you should have software installed which will exploit the ICMP for transmitting non-standard data, if possible just attach the Wireshark pcap log so that I can have a better idea of the issue that you are having, it will be of more help to find out the cause of the issue if you capture the communication as well, just post the log here for further help.

Re: Getting message "Detected covert channel exploit in ICMP packet" after installing ESET security suite V5.0.95.0

I will like to share that I was not having this issue previously and the issue has started after I upgraded from ESET security suite V4 to v5, is there something else that I can try out to solve this??

In that case I wanted to know if you are having some other software that you think can conflict or is there any games that you have recently installed for eg Battlefield 3 and so?? Just check out these things and then let me know if you are having them, this will help us in narrowing the issue and finding out the exact cause.

I am having the software’s related to the following:
    • Microsoft product
    • Oracle product (OBIEE)
    • SQL Server

Other than this I have not installed any games and so as I don’t play a much, I also wanted to add that I am having the same software on my pc as well as on my laptop with the above software’s installed on both but then I am not having any issues running it on PC. What do you think can be the possible cause of this issue??

I was facing the same issue on my system after upgrading from ESET security suite V4 to v5 and at that time I don’t know for what reason but then the ESS had been reconfigured because of which the "Computer protection mode in network" was changed to "Strict protection." Rather than "Allow sharing" and later when I changed it back to "Allow sharing, I was not getting the same warning message again, I am not very sure if you are having the same case but then just check it out and see if it is.