Thread: Is it possible to scan for unmanaged clients in SEPM 12.1.671.4971

Is it possible to scan for unmanaged clients in SEPM 12.1.671.4971

I am running SEP 12 and recently I have noticed that by no I am having a no of clients but then most of them are either the ones that are not working or have been uninstalled but then after doing this they get removed from the SEPM and because of that I am not able to find out that who is having Antivirus in the environment. I wanted to share that when I was using 11.06 then it was capable of scanning subnet for unmanaged clients and it was also capable of installing AV to them from there, so I just wanted to know if the same is possible in 12?? Is there anywho who has an idea about it??

Re: Is it possible to scan for unmanaged clients in SEPM 12.1.671.4971

I am running SEP 12 and recently I have noticed that by no I am having a no of clients but then most of them are either the ones that are not working or have been uninstalled but then after doing this they get removed from the SEPM and because of that I am not able to find out that who is having Antivirus in the environment. I wanted to share that when I was using 11.06 then it was capable of scanning subnet for unmanaged clients and it was also capable of installing AV to them from there, so I just wanted to know if the same is possible in 12?? Is there anywho who has an idea about it??
    Yes in SEP 12 you can very well use the unmanaged detector and you can also apply device control policy to them in order to avoid them from allowing users to mess with the symantec AV registry or its processes.

I will like to inform you that if you are running 12.1 then you can find out the umanaged computers as it is basically a part of the client deployment wizard now, you can very well access this wizard using the common tasks drop down menu which will be in the top right corner of the, other than this you can also install protection client using this menu to the computers. Hope that helps.

I just wanted to share that I am not actually running 12.1 but then my build is 12.1.671.4971, I have tried going from the Install protection Client to the wizard that you have mentioned but then I am not able to find out any identifiers to select or find out the unmanaged computers, i am not sure but then is there any other utility that I can use to find out the computers without the antivirus on them as well as scan a subnet as well.

You can try out the below steps to find out the Unmanaged Computers on SEP 12.1:
    • First click on the Home In the console and after that select the Install protection client to computers which will be in the Common Tasks menu and then the Client Deployment wizard will start.
    • Now in the Client Deployment Wizard pane just select a new or an existing package and then click on Next.
    • In order to do new installations of the package select the client version and set the feature and the client group along with the content options and after that click on Next.
    • After that Click on the Remote Push and click on Next again and now in order to find out the unmanaged clients just click on the Search Network and then on the Find Unmanaged Computers option.

Just try it out and see if it is helping.

I am not having any problem in getting in to the Client Deployment Wizard but then the problem that I am having is to find out the unmanaged clients. I have tried following the above solution and when I am pushing a new package or even if I am choosing old packages then I am just getting the option to "Find Computers and when I am pushing the same then I am getting the below options in order to find out the computer:
    • Range scan
    • Computer name
    • Delimited file import

Here the choices seems to be fine but then ip range scan I just returning the computer the ip range no matter of the version of Endpoint they have or do not have ad it is not allowing me to find out the computer o which the Client Protection need to be installed.

It works as I have tried it out but then it’s just a pain, actually after scanning network and adding computers to the Install Protection Client, it lest you know which current protection has been installed and here if it is blank then it means that there is no av installed, in my case I have fiund a no of machines not having av. The big pan here is that it keeps checking for all the IP addresses so if there is any device which is not a computer then the process will get stopped and will ask you for cancelling or skipping the client. I think that you should give it a try.