Thread: Attachments are opening slowly after upgrading to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1

Attachments are opening slowly after upgrading to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1

We have been using Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 previously in your company but then we have recently upgraded the same to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 and since then I have found is that the attachments of the Outlook 2010 is slowing very slowly, I have found that normal 200 kb attachment is taking 50 seconds where as more than 1mb file is just freezing the machine, is there away to solve this out??

Re: Attachments are opening slowly after upgrading to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1

We have been using Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 previously in your company but then we have recently upgraded the same to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 and since then I have found is that the attachments of the Outlook 2010 is slowing very slowly, I have found that normal 200 kb attachment is taking 50 seconds where as more than 1mb file is just freezing the machine, is there away to solve this out??
    I am having the same issue but then for now I have found out an alternate method to control it, actually in the Outlook 2010 there is a setting where you can just disable the Symantec Endpoint Protection Add-In and after disabling the same you won’t be having the same issue, I have tried it out and the attachments are opening properly now but then when the Symantec Endpoint Protection Add-In is set to enable then the same issue persist, If you want then you can try out the same but then I will like to know if there is any other effective solution to get rid of this issue.

Re: Attachments are opening slowly after upgrading to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1

Hey thanks for that same I have tried it out and it is working for me as well but then I just wanted to know if there any setting in the SEPM console by which we can just speed-up the scanning of the attachments rather than waiting for such long times, I am sure that this issue is with the Symantec Endpoint Protection and not the Outlook and I am really not willing to keep the Symantec Endpoint Protection Add-In disable in the Outlook, is there any other workaround that I can try out???

I am not very sure but then you can try following the below solution and see if ti is making any difference:
    • First just Disable the outlook add on which will be in the SEP client
    • After that navigate to the add remove program and then click on the change modify and then disable outlook and then reboot the machine and see if it is helping.

Just try it out and then let me know if it is making any difference.

I am not having any issue in disabling the symantec add in but then I am quite sure that it will be affecting the attachments and there are chances of getting the vulnerabilities with it as well and that is the reason I am not willing to do that, I will like to know if there is any other solution that this. Any further help for this issue will be highly appreciated.

I know that it will stop scanning the attachments but then I just wanted to know that why are you willing to scan them, I mean that when the attachments are downloaded then you can scan them very well as they will be stored on your hard-disk, I really don’t think that disabling the outlook scanning will be resulting in to any issue.

I think that a better idea will be disabling the protection on the desktop where the email will be scanned at the gateway and then it will be catching it up before they will be reaching to all the other user, I also wanted to share that the vulnerabilities mostly comes from the intranet or flash drives and not from the email, anyways there are few solution above as well, so just check out which possible solution will be helping you out.