Thread: How can I install a Antivirus inside my Wireless Router

How can I install a Antivirus inside my Wireless Router

At office I had received hundreds of complain associated with adware, malware and virus. Each time somehow the virus enters the network through web. First it was due to application that we downloaded for testing. I am annoyed with formatting every pc each time. I have some employees who simply go beyond their limits and tries to screw up the entire network. I had also install a business security antivirus but it is not giving me the right protection. The issue lies with ftp transfer or some free websites that distribute malware. I can just here keep on blocking those websites. I need some help by which I can simply install a antivirus inside the wireless router. So that it does not allow anyone to access those infected files.

Re: How can I install a Antivirus inside my Wireless Router

I do not think that is possible. Routers comes with firewall. You can enable that and use them for protection. You can try using the best router model in the market which is having the most powerful firewall and security features. I think that will be more okay for your situation.

It is possible to make your router more secure. But for that you have to find a Linux based router. On this device scripting is possible. You can simply hire a expert who can overwrite its existing firmware or software and make it more powerful in terms of virus detection. The infected files are blocked on the source itself. There are ample of free Linux OS available that comes with install antivirus and you can use them on the router. The process is complicated but effective and if you are good with scripting procedure then you can do the same on your own. Some Linux software also offers you anti-spamming tool in the router. But remember that the router has its own limitation. You cannot run programs on it like you run on a pc. It has a limited hardware support. Basically designed to control the internet. WE can in future see some smart modems or routers that can be customized or modified as per our need and we can add a more powerful software on it to make it secure.

Norton is one of the best antivirus according to me. It has solution from small to large network. I think if you can apply it then you will not face problem with the virus here. There ample of various product available under the same. I will advice you to check the same and then test back.

The only router that I found on web that comes with powerful security features is ZoneAlarm Z100G Secure Wireless Router. This is an affordable solution for small and medium office enterprise. It offers you a nice range of security features where you can simply manage the security settings instantly. Firewall is most common in any router. But applying that needs a bit of knowledge. Threats can enter your pc in any form. This is a advance edition router. It has a powerful firewall in the system and offers a SmartDefense Intrusion Prevention technology. This like a guard on your network that does not allows any attacks. The router offers you different firewall rules based on different pc. For each system you can configure a separate rule on the basis of requirement. Also it has a Gateway Antivirus. This is enough strong to block virus, worms, etc. So that it does not spread everywhere. Along with the antivirus it also give you anti-spam protection, web filter, etc. So it is a fast and advance device.

That looks great features. I will really love to test product. I am also on the same track. I had installed Kaspersky on every pc but still the popups on it are annoying. I had maintain a routine of system recovery at the end of every week so that those virus files does not remain in the pc.

Ciso is having some solution for you I think. Here you require a server level protection. There are some models called as Security routers which are primarily design to give protection from various threats on the web. And I think you need one of those. Compare to a regular router, a security router is more advance and beneficial. Most of the router just gives you flash feature list based on the firewall it has. Security routers here are separate and still a lot of development is needed in the same. It is essential that you get the right model and then check back what actual output you are getting. Cisco just has a separate series of security routers where you can choose from basic model to advance.