Thread: AVG free 2012 is not removing W32.Begmian Worm On USB Stick

AVG free 2012 is not removing W32.Begmian Worm On USB Stick

Today in school I connected my USB Stick to the lab machine and got a message saying a virus called 'W32.Begmian' was detected, the school server is having Symantec installed on it, later when I came home and then made a scan with AVG free 2012 on my machine but then it did not recognized the virus, what should I do to get rid of the virus, I don’t want to lose the data in it, is there anyone who can help??

Re: AVG free 2012 is not removing W32.Begmian Worm On USB Stick

Today in school I connected my USB Stick to the lab machine and got a message saying a virus called 'W32.Begmian' was detected, the school server is having Symantec installed on it, later when I came home and then made a scan with AVG free 2012 on my machine but then it did not recognized the virus, what should I do to get rid of the virus, I don’t want to lose the data in it, is there anyone who can help??
    There are possibilities that the Symantec might have false positive detection, this happens with other anti-viruses as well, anyways if you feel then I just want you to provide me the detail about the file that was listed as infection, so that I can check about the same and try to help you further with it.

I wish that I could have got some detailed information about the file that was detected but then the Symantec in my school had not list the source/document, when it was scanning the files in the usb then it has just said listed the name of the virus and after that it was not able to open the drive as well, is there any other solution that I can try out, any further help for the same will be appreciated.

I think that the infection might be hiding in the USBs master boot record and that is why it won’t have got recognized by the AVG free 2012, I will suggest you to better rewrite MBR of USB and in order to do so follow the below steps:
    • First download and then install Testdisk utility and after that just connect the stick to the computer
    • After that Run the TestDisk program and then select the Analyze disk option and then select Rebuild MBR and then chose the Write Boot option and then select the files and the folders.

Just try out the same and see if the issue is getting solved or not.

As far as I am aware when a W.32Begmian virus is removed using an antivirus then it leaves an instance of an autorun.inf file,in order to delete the same just go in to the Tools>Folder Options>Views and after that check mark the Show hidden files and then un-check the Hide protected operating system files and after that when you will open the usb as Portable storage device then you will be able to view the autorun file, so just delete it from there and then reverse the Tools options as above. Just try this out and see if it ishelping.