Thread: Getting error message "The TCP/IP connection was unexpectedly terminated by the server (NNTP)"

Getting error message "The TCP/IP connection was unexpectedly terminated by the server (NNTP)"

I am having a connection to a NNTP news service and the problem is that the connection gets reset frequently say every ten minutes in its own and it gives a error message saying "The TCP/IP connection was unexpectedly terminated by the server (NNTP)", I also wanted to add that after receiving this error when I click on something else for eg in my email client and then on the newsgroup which is in the news service it shows that there is a valid connection but only for 10 mins and so and then this continues like a cycle. I have tried out different new server as well but then I have got the same response. Is there anyone who has an idea about the same and can help me out?

Re: Getting error message "The TCP/IP connection was unexpectedly terminated by the server (NNTP)"

I am having a connection to a NNTP news service and the problem is that the connection gets reset frequently say every ten minutes in its own and it gives a error message saying "The TCP/IP connection was unexpectedly terminated by the server (NNTP)", I also wanted to add that after receiving this error when I click on something else for eg in my email client and then on the newsgroup which is in the news service it shows that there is a valid connection but only for 10 mins and so and then this continues like a cycle. I have tried out different new server as well but then I have got the same response. Is there anyone who has an idea about the same and can help me out?
    Before I suggest you something about the same I just wanted to know the specification of your computer as well as the name of the4 router along with the firmware version and all, just post the same here so I can have better idea about the issue that you are facing.

Re: Getting error message "The TCP/IP connection was unexpectedly terminated by the server (NNTP)"

I am having the following:
    Windows XP Home SP3
    Outlook Express 6
    Zone Alarm 6.1.744.001

Linksys E2000 router
    • firmware 1.0.04 build 7
    • software 1.3.11006.1
    • connection type (WAN) DHCP

What are the solutions that you have tried so far so that I don’t suggest you the same as it will be just a waste of time, just mention them in the next post.

By now I have tried all the below:
    • Updating the firmware
    • Resetting the my DSL modem, the router several times

I also wanted to add that the issue is only with NNTP news server that needs a login with username & password. Just to explain the same in detail when I am leaving a newsgroup selected for a while and then when I click on some different newsgroup then I get this error, if I am clicking on OE for eg the email folder then I am not getting the same error message. I think that the router is timing out the login but then I am not very sure about the same.

Is seems that you have already tried a number of trouble shooting, anyways let’s start with changing the MTU size on your router to 1400 and in order to do the same just follow the below steps:
    • First just login in to the web interface of the router and after that you will get an MTU option so just change the same to manual and after that change it size from 1500 to 1400.

I also wanted to know that have you contacted the isp and made any changes and so?? If yes than what??

I have tried out changing the MTU to 1400 but then I don’t think that it is making any difference,i have not contacted the isp and have not yet made any changes as well. I was thinking that this problem was specific to the computer's configuration but then I have tried out connecting it to XP Pro laptop using the LAN cable but then I got the same response, so now I am sure that there is nothing wrong from the computer side. Is there anything else that I can try out to get rid of this issue, any further help for the same will be appreciated?

I have tried out changing the MTU to 1400 but then I don’t think that it is making any difference,i have not contacted the isp and have not yet made any changes as well. I was thinking that this problem was specific to the computer's configuration but then I have tried out connecting it to XP Pro laptop using the LAN cable but then I got the same response, so now I am sure that there is nothing wrong from the computer side. Is there anything else that I can try out to get rid of this issue, any further help for the same will be appreciated?
    I am not very sure but then I think that this problem is with the router, I mean almost all the consumer grade routers are found to be having low tcp timeout value which has been resulting in to a no of issue including yours as well, I will suggest you to try out lashing dd-wrt or tomatousb firmware and also increase the timeout value but then I doubt if this option is available for the Linksys, just check it out and see what possible solution you can try out.