Thread: Linksys E4200 wifi router disconnects randomly with blinking light

Linksys E4200 wifi router disconnects randomly with blinking light

I have configured Cisco Linksys E4200 Wireless Dual Band N Router at my home. From yesterday it keeps on disconnecting randomly from the internet. The cisco light started to blink and I will lose internet connection. Pinging the router does not help. After 30 waiting for 30 seconds or more it starts to work again. This is really irritating. Firmware version is 1.0.03.

Re: Linksys E4200 wifi router disconnects randomly with blinking light

First of all disable the router's wireless functionality totally and monitor it. It seems to me that other Wireless devices around can effect. On the other hand it seems the whole router is defective if it disconnects randomly.

Next thing you can try is resetting to factory defaults.

If it still doesn’t solve the problem, then you should look for the firmware upgrade.

You can fix the issue by doing "MAC address cloning". It is the process of changing the MAC address. However don’t think that you can "clone" an address from one router to another. Here you are going to clone from the computer to the router. So for this enter the MAC address manually, and then click "Save Settings".

This issue is not normal and it really looks like problem with your router’s firmware. For that you need to hard reset the router once. Make sure that the router is powered on. Now press and hold the reset button for more than 30 seconds (you can find the reset button on the back). As still holding, unplug the router and hold the button for another 30 seconds. Now plug back, as still holding. Now remove it and see whether you can ping or not.

I have disabled UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) for my router. UPnP software make network-based devices to connect easily but it digitally clutter the network. At the first time I have only disabled UPnP on the router’s network end but I then realized that the Linksys e4200 also uses UPnP in order to broadcast the media server. After disabling UPnP, my network started working fine.

If you think that there is a problem with UPnP on your router, you can always change the settings easily. For that you need to go to the default home page by typing 192.168.1.1 on your browser’s URL area.

• Go to ‘Storage > Media Server’. Disable UPnP Media Server and then click 'Save Settings'.
    • Click ‘Administration > Management’ and at the bottom, Disable UPnP. Click ‘Save Settings’

Other UPnP functions will be going to disabled by default. This will totally remove UPnP broadcasting.

Everyone knows that it is a usual problem with broadband who are using wireless router. If you are going to get help from the ISP, they will blame router telling it is faulty. On the other side, if you are trying to get help from the router’s technical support team, they will blame the ISP. So there is no exact reason until we find it by our self.

First of all check that whether you are having problem with one computer or all. Disconnect the internet from the router and connect it directly to one computer by the use of Cable or DSL modem. If you see any disconnection, then you can easily assume what it the cause. If not, you will need to look for the firmware upgrade for the router.

My solution is as follows:

If you notice the disconnection, then before rebooting the router, just login into the admin pages and verify the Status page. If you can see that the IP address is missing, the there is a DHCP lease. Try to do a DHCP Release and Renew. If you can get the IP address back, then you don’t need to reboot the router. But you may need to reboot the computer. Furthermore check that there is no power failure happening to the router or modem. See for any lose connection or faulty cables.