Thread: What are Password, Passphrase and Key in terms of Cisco Linksys Routers?

What are Password, Passphrase and Key in terms of Cisco Linksys Routers?

Hi friends recently I have purchased a new Cisco Linksys Router, so I don’t have that much of information about this wireless routers and also some points and definition about this routers that are frequently used. So I just want to know the difference in Password and a Passphrase and also what are the keys user has to enter there in Passphrase. So if you guys have any information or any ideas for this terms or any other suggestion for this thing that are used in this Cisco Linksys Router then please let me know.

Re: What are Password, Passphrase and Key in terms of Cisco Linksys Routers?

According to my information, there is no difference is there in between Password and Passphrase. They both have the same functionality in these routers and also they require the series of characters/numbers/symbols that the user can types to log on to a wifi network. And there is no chances for user to enter the single or multiple key unless the user use WEP.

There is the chance to change the passphrase, and also whenever you try to setup a wireless device there is need to enter your WPA Passphrase. For that you just have to make use of the Passphrase that you have setup or you can also make use original passphrase that have came with the router.

The thing that I know about passphrase is that there is no standard for derive the keys. And for WEP you should only enter the keys on the devices. WPA and WPA2 are useful for deriving the key from the passphrase. Every WPA device knows what they have to do with the passphrase that you have entered there for WPA. And for the WEP, you just have to enter the key.

According to my suggestion your wireless password is there in the router there in the wireless tab/security. And also the default password for routers is 'admin' unless you changed it.