Thread: Which one is better for home accesspoint, Linksys E4200, Linksys E3200 or Linksys E2500

Which one is better for home accesspoint, Linksys E4200, Linksys E3200 or Linksys E2500

So friend now I need your help urgently. I am looking out for a good accesspoint of my home network. It’s not that I am unaware the networking things and all but then I just need your suggestion and opinion regarding the best wifi accesspoint that could provide me with 2 bands and 300mbps bandwidth. I have shortlisted these 3 amongst all the other models; E4200, E3200 and E2500. Now it’s on you people to suggest me the best amongst these three. Suggest me with just one, specifying the name of the model so that I can easily get which one to select.

re: Which one is better for home accesspoint, Linksys E4200, Linksys E3200 or Linksys E2500

I would go for E4200. As we all know that the processor in this E4200 router is faster, you can get a faster wireless throughput. And I guess everybody knows that this one is the highly rated and most demanding one as compared to the other two models. I have a built in storage link which helps you to add gigabytes of storage space into the network using the USB storage drive. The most likable feature according to me is the security functionalities which include:

• Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 (WPA2) security
    • Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) firewall
    • Network Address Translation (NAT) technology

There is lot more interesting features which makes it the best one compared to the other two models. You can get the complete details from their official website. I hope you will definitely go this one.

re: Which one is better for home accesspoint, Linksys E4200, Linksys E3200 or Linksys E2500

Instead of asking we people about the best router why don’t you directly get their important common features and compare them to get all the things clear. If you are finds it difficult to do so definitely I would help you to gather the information:

E4200
    • Dual-Band N router
    • Gigabit Ethernet 4-port switch
    • Maximum speed up to 450 Mbps
    • USB port for shared storage

E3200
    • Dual-Band N router
    • Gigabit Ethernet 4-port switch
    • Speed up to 300 Mbps
    • USB port for shared storage

E2500
    • Dual-Band N router
    • Fast Ethernet 4-port switch
    • Speed up to 300 Mbps
    • Additional antenna for extended coverage

The E4200 router also has one extra feature which I guess the other two routers do not possess i.e. E4200 has a built-In UPnP AV media server.

Thanks my friend for the detailed information but for your kind information these were the basic differences which I think every users using a router know it. And I am one amongst them.

And I also know that E4200 is one of the best amongst the routers. it will sound quite strange but let me tell you that I am completely against the maximum speed provided with E4200. I know that E4200 supports up to 450mbps but my plans are different, I am searching for a device which should not exceed the speed or go faster than 300mbps. Even then I still kept it in the option because I really liked the other features of E4200. And I will definitely go for it if I am completely not satisfied with the other two options.

First of all let me eliminate E2500 model because I personally feels that E2500 stands nowhere in comparison to E4200 and E3200. I would strictly tell you to go for either of these two models but can’t clarify the best one. But as you said that you are already aware of the basic features of the all three models, I would like you to list the key components of both the preferred models so as to make it easy for you to choose the prioritized. I hope at least now you now make out your choice by looking at their key factors:

For E3200
    • CPU – Broadcom BCM47186
    • SWITCH – Broadcom BCM53125
    • RAM – 64MB
    • FLASH – 16MB
    • 2.4GHz RADIO – BB/MAC in BCM47186
    • 5GHz RADIO – Broadcom BCM43236

Now for E4200
    • CPU – Broadcom BCM4718
    • SWITCH – Broadcom BCM53115
    • RAM – 64MB
    • FLASH – 16MB
    • 2.4GHz RADIO – BB/MAC in BCM4718
    • 5GHz RADIO – Broadcom BCM4331

Hope this information will help you out.

If asked me then definitely I will eliminate E3200 first but not get confused between the other two. I am clear with my choice and my choice will be E2500. It undoubtedly offers us with the best performance even thought it has the similar maximum speed of E3200 i.e. 300mbps. But as you said that you are looking out for something which should not offer you the speed limit above 300mbps, so I came up with E2500 as said performance wise it’s the best. It also has the dual-band router that will help you to access internet though its four port switch or through wireless connection. This wireless router comes up with the latest version of cisco.

If you compare the other two you will come to know that it has an Additional antenna for extended coverage while the other two has do not have this thing.

Hey if you are really looking out for a router to get the best accesspoint then stop roaming around and better go for wireless n accesspoint WAP610N.
    • It adds high-speed Wireless-N to your existing network
    • Its a perfect partner for wireless video streaming
    • It also operates in the 2.4 and 5 GHz radio bands

Yes you are right, I just need an accesspoint but the problem is that access points comes at very high price which are completely out of my budget. But anyways if i look at this WAP610N specification wise then definitely I am completely satisfied than those three models which I have shortlisted.

I have also found that the dual brand name given to WAP610N is just for name sake, it proved to be the major disadvantage, as we cannot use both the bands simultaneously. Anyways I would go for this one only if I find good reviews and benchmarks regarding its performance. Till then let me be neutral with the choices.

Hey friends please help me, I bought a new Linksys E3200 and now I am trying to connect this router through the Ethernet wire to the existing network which already contains a router and a switch.
    Now I want it to function as only access point by simply connecting it to the port on the switch. Any suggestions please about how to set it?

Do as I say, first of all disable the DHCP on this router and then use the LAN port but not the internet port in order to connect the Ethernet from the source. And then for the further config activities you need set the IP address of the router to the same IP segment of your network. This trick will definitely work; I have already tried it on my system too.