Thread: how to block an URL through Linksys E4200

how to block an URL through Linksys E4200

From last few days I am trying to block certain URLs across the entire network through my E4200. I tried a lot but still at the start point. I think I went on perfectly but don’t know where I am committing a mistake. I per my knowledge, I first login to my router through the web browser and then from there I was directly taken to the Access Restrictions page. But then I understood that in order to make some more advanced setting I will have to use the internet Access Policy pane than the parental control. Am I going wrong somewhere, please anyone help me out. I really wanted to know that how can I block those URL.

Re: how to block an URL through Linksys E4200

I guess you need to configure your router by resetting it again. Just try out this one and let me know does it help you out in any way. For you convenience I will let you know the steps to reset the router:

• First you need to press the reset button at least for 30 seconds
    • And the switch off the router and then again wait for 30 seconds
    • Then switch it on or turn on the power button
    • Make sure that the power light blinks while you do the reset process.

And now if have successfully performed the resetting process of your router, then you will have to reconfigure the whole settings and after reconfiguring you will have to provide the full URL address and then check the connectivity status.

Have you ever tried entering the MAC address in the web interface of your PC in which you want to block those specified URL? If your want to block the URL using a cisco connect, then let me get confirmed with the steps.
    I will soon get back to you. Anyway may I the version of firmware of your router. If you have the older version then I would suggest you to get the latest version downloaded for the Linksys/cisco official website.

Hey I am already done with blocking the URL in my system using the cisco connects, I was able to block only those URLs which I preferred to block.
    In order to block the specific site you need to add the URL to the block list by clicking on block specific site. Let me explain you step by step:

• First you need to select the name of the computer in which you want to block certain website.
    • Then in the Block Specific Site column click on Edit
    • And now here are the fields where you can enter the address or the URL of those sites you want to block
    • After you are done click on save.

For your kind information, let me tell you that there is possibility of blocking about eight website at a time as you are provided with eight blank empty fields.

Hey even I tried to do this thing but still failed to do it. Let me ask you that how it is possible for you to get the name of the computer in which you need to block the specific site.

The problem is that whenever I go into the blocking section I can’t find any of my system’s name mentioned in the list, that’s the reason I am still unable to precede my work. Does it take all the PC’s name automatically or else I will have to enter the names manually into the settings. If yes then how can I enter the names, is it not possible for the cisco connect to get the PC number or code automatically and display it for me while blocking the system.

I would definitely like to try out the above things. But I am completely clueless regarding the cisco connects software. Actually this is the first time I am trying to use the software and also I am unaware about this networking concepts. Due to this reason I am unable to launch the software. I can’t get it on my desktop, what should I do? I know it’s a silly question but I seriously have no idea about it and I am really willing to use it.

Hey friend you need not have to worry. There is no such question in this world which is silly. Yours is just a small query, I will help you out. Follow the instructions:

• In order to launch a cisco connect software on the windows PC

You need to go to Start > All Programs > cisco connect

• And in order to launch it on MAC PC

Navigate to the Application folder in GO
    Start Cisco Connect

Hey even I tried to do this thing but still failed to do it. Let me ask you that how it is possible for you to get the name of the computer in which you need to block the specific site. The problem is that whenever I go into the blocking section I can’t find any of my system’s name mentioned in the list, that’s the reason I am still unable to precede my work. Does it take all the PC’s name automatically or else I will have to enter the names manually into the settings. If yes then how can I enter the names, is it not possible for the cisco connect to get the PC number or code automatically and display it for me while blocking the system.
    No my dear you have to enter the names manually so that these name can possibly be able to get display automatically in the section where you are suppose to block the URL. The cisco connect restrict itself for getting the names because even if it get the names or number automatically, it will be quite difficult for you to identify the name of each pc. So therefore it allows the user itself to enter the pc name so that next time the user will be easily able to select the names displayed in the list. You do not have to enter the name again and again everywhere,

• First of all you need to launch Cisco Connect software
    • Then select Parental Controls
    • Then in this, you need to enter the password inside the password field present in the parental control
    • Enter again to for the confirmation inside the verify password field
    • The enter the secret question and the answer
    • Click OK to save

Now the name of the computer is been saved inside the parental control option

I have the latest version 1.0.03 of firmware downloaded and installed. Not only I upgraded the firmware but also I tried to reset the router once. I guess everything went wrong just because I configured it wrong.
    And i also would like to say that I can block the site using the MAC address, but that’s not the thing I wanted to do. I wanted to restrict the website for the entire machine present in the network without using their MAC address or the computer name.