Thread: Linksys Wireless router WRT610N connection and network storage not proper

Linksys Wireless router WRT610N connection and network storage not proper

I am currently facing two problems and both huge one. Now let me first tell you that my WRT610N router is currently connected to my USB hard drive. Then I have a PC which is running a vista ultimate connected on my network along with wireless g notebook running XP Pro then a wired PABT box for VOIP and also an iPhone connected altogether on the same network. Then my TV is connected the wireless g Mediagate MG350HD media extender at about 10 meter away from each other.
    • Now the two problem which I am facing is regarding the WRT610N connection, the connection of my My Mediagate MG350HD keeps on dropping to the network.
    • The second issue is that I am unable to configure my network storage device which for me is a big trouble.

Re: Linksys Wireless router WRT610N connection and network storage not proper

I have nothing to do with the connection drop out problem. But it seems like the network storage device configuration issue is very much similar to my problem. In my router storage tab all I can do is to stay away from folder creation. Whenever I try to share some folder, all I need to do is to go to assign access rights then over then I need to click on the group of access granted column but then when I click on the save option all I can see that it throws them all back to the access denied column. In the Network and Sharing Centre there a Network storage column displayed. Over there are 3 network folders, selecting those folders and assigning them permission doesn’t make any sense. In fact changing the access right using my pc on the folders like movies, TV etc, results in blanking out of the tickboxes. Do I need to do something with the permission on my PC?

There is nothing to do with your system permission, as you have already mentioned above that you are trying to share the network storage on your pc.

In order to get the things in a proper place, on your router you will have to set proper a proper permission for the specific folder which you are willing to change and then grant the permissions like read or write on them only after that you will be able to access the storage on your system and also you will be able to make clear and proper modification in it.

Just follow the steps as I say to get your network storage permission granting issue resolved:

• First of all go to your Linksys router setup page
    • login from there into the setup page
    • then over there click on the storage Tab
    • then click on storage share
    • select the folder which you want to share on the network
    • now give them the permission (read, write and all)

Just link the network drive on your pc after you are done with the permission granting work. And now where you are asked for the user name and password, from the storage tab on your router you can easily get the information.

Hey here is some interesting discussion going on. I have no issue with my network or router everything is working fine smoothly. But now I planned to connect more PC to the network in order to access the storage device.
    I have already one connected to it and I am using it quite nicely, just wanted to clear that whether it is possible to connect more PCs to get the access to storage device. I have tried doing it several time but I am stuck up with the password, every time I enter the password it shows me a blank field again all the time. Do I need to do something else or I am on the right path?

In order to get my USB drive connected, in Vista I have to define username and password and then insist a vista logon boot and then to logon with user I need to reboot.

Now in storage or administration you need to define the server name i.e. the router. And then look into it that your workgroup name matches the computer’s workgroup. Now the entire user who are connection to the router through the pc has to be defined which makes them all admin. Just note that the user name and the password have to be matched with the one you have mentioned in the vista for the drive to auto connect.

By doing those two will not complete the work and sort out the issue. Your need to follow further more steps in order to get your USB drive connected and resolve the problem.

In the stockage or disk you need to:

• Add a share
    • Mention the name
    • Then on the USB drive make sure that the shared folder is defined as public
    • Then include admin and guest to share

Now in Vista:

• Go to my computer
    • Menu tool
    • Connect a network drive
    • Go to drive Z
    • Then over there write the path of the shared folder which you created earlier

After following all the steps you USB drive will auto connect to drive Z. make sure that your follow the steps starting from the above post.

For the network connection drop out issue, I would suggest you to you network magic in order to manage your network.
    If you are already using it then also make sure that you use 5.0 band on your router. And see whether these changes make some difference or not. I hope it will improve and sort out the issue.

For your kind information let me tell you that I have been already using the network magic to manage my network, sorry if I failed to mention about it.

And I also would like to tell you that, to my knowledge as far as I know the 5.0 band requires the client to have wireless N device. As I don’t have any wireless N router switching to 5.0 band doesn’t make any sense for me. Therefore instead 5.0 I already have been switched on to 2.4 band on the router.

Yes it is possible to connect more PCs to the network in order to access the storage device. Even I need to do it but I am still not clear with the other issues.

Whenever I try to create a new user, I get a page of modifying the user i.e. the “modify user” page. And even if I go on to modify the user, no changes takes place, I mean that the modification are always temporary. In short neither I am able to create a new user nor I can modify any user, even thought if its showing me that user modified. None of the solutions given here have made any difference till now. Hope to get a perfect and correct suggestion.

I had the same, exact same problem. Then I was suggested to update my firmware. And then when I upgraded the firmware, this latest upgraded firmware still had the GUI error. The fields that were offered were unable to correspond to the Help page. I have the second version (2.0) of the router with the latest firmware.

But then routing the unit worked fine. I am able to simply reconnect to my laptop to the G band without resetting the router, and guess what it runs smoothly. Rest everything still the same.