Thread: How to connect Seagate USB drives to Linksys E4200

How to connect Seagate USB drives to Linksys E4200

I want to connect the Seagate USB drives to Linksys E4200 and I am wondering for some way to do this. I am having two USB portables as well as one USB which has the power cable. My router is not able to recognize any of them. Can somebody tell me that what I am missing here. If 'you have some lidea about this then please let me know that. thank you!!!

Re: How to connect Seagate USB drives to Linksys E4200

If the portable drive is getting disconnected when you connect it to the PC directly then there are three things that you will have to perform in order to get that connected to the computer.
    • Accessing the Storage Setup Menu
    • Creating Share
    • Mapping a Network Drive

If you are having the E4200 router with the latest firmware then this will support the 3TB Hard drive through the NTFS and HFS+ format. So make sure that this is having the latest firmware installed. I don’t think that you will get that problem again with the latest firmware.

I would like to tell you that the external drives support is very poor with this router. I have also tried with the WD Mybook Drives and a LaCie drive but none of them seemed to be connecting. This is really a very disappointing thing done by the cisco. I think that there are just some specific models with some specified storage space is going to work with that and all the others are not going to work. I hope there will be some solution for this soon.

If you are having the connection problem then you can try with the below steps and see if this helps you or not.
    1. Just open the Cisco Connect Software and select option "Router Settings".
    2. Now select option as "Advanced Settings" and this will open the router's configuration page.
    3. Reduce the MTU value to 1400 from Auto.
    4. Open the wireless tab and keep network mode as mixed.

If you are not having the Cisco Connect installed on your computer then there is one alternate way to do this. Just log on to the routers user interface with the default IP address within the browser. this is 192.168.1.1 and then type admin as password and keep the user name blank. When you do this then it will open the router's web interface and from there you will be able to do it from that there.

If you have already done with the firmware update and still getting problem with the connection the I want to tell you that you will have to reset the router once the update is competed and then only update will be applied to it otherwise you will find that there is no change.