Thread: Share Network printer from Windows XP to Windows 7

Share Network printer from Windows XP to Windows 7

Currently I am using the HP Photosmart 2575 printer and it is connected. The problem is I need to see thing printer in windows 7 which is in other room but It won’t. I have used Ethernet cables for connection. I have managed to do it in windows vista but don’t know how to accomplish it in windows 7.

Re: Share Network printer from Windows XP to Windows 7

I think if there are no Windows 7 drivers for network printing is not possible.

To me something similar happens, I have XP on a PC (and the printer, or had) and the other Windows 7. And I cannot print from Windows 7 by passing on the other. I cannot find these drivers, and I cannot print. I can print from Windows 7 because Windows Update installs a few, and there is a role that I have no (preview before printing, and save the last settings you had gotten in each application).

To share the printer on the machine enters Windows 7 Devices and Printers from the Start menu and double-click the printer icon.
    • Double click on top of "Customize your printer."
    • Click Properties on the Sharing tab and make sure the box to share the printer and type inside your share name.
    • To set up the shared printer on XP , go on Printers and Faxes from the Start menu and open the Add Printer Wizard.
    • Now choose "A network printer or a printer attached to another computer", and after that click Next.
    • Then pick "Connect to this printer ...” and enter the path of the printer connected to the Windows 7 system and click Next.
    • At last click Yes to the authentication message.
    • Aafterward click Finish to install the printer.

I managed to find how to operate the network perfectly. You must go to "Control Panel \ Network and Internet \ Network and Sharing Center". Here you go to the left tab "change advanced sharing settings" and you disable protected sharing password in public and residential or business. At this point Windows XP should have access to Windows 7.

• Click to Start Settings Printers and Faxes to
    • Click Add Printer and click Next
    • Choose the 2nd option (network printer)
    • Select the 2nd option and put the following information in the box:

\ \ Server \ Non_imprimante_partagee
    Replace server with the IP address of Windows 7, and Non_imprimate_partagee with the name of the printer in Windows 7 (which is shared quite sour) and click Next

For file sharing and printer when I saw that it did not work, I tried Cisco Network Magic and it said firewall problems when I am trying to reach files from XP PRO to Windows 7.
    • Check if you have a firewall and if you have the Windows then it should go off if the firewall for now.
    • Check that sharing is enabled on the printer server pc windows 7
    • Make sure the computer is in the same network group.

If the printer is physically connected via USB to a PC, it is logical that should be on the machine to print. If the printer has Ethernet port for wired or wireless network, there is something else, but seeing the specs, it seems that only connects via USB or parallel port. To make you realize your mistake express yourself, shut down the computer where the printer is printing on the laptop that has XP.

The truth is that I have only one "complaint" is that if the direct connect via the PC without the other (I threw a USB cable and sometimes I have it off, so I put it directly) I have to change again the port. But knowing that you can do a print server and no longer makes sense, because I know it works (now I have another PC as a print server, of course).