Go Back   TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2012

How to check if (ISP) Network is shaping traffic

I am running a small office which is having a 20Mb connection and I just want to know How to check if (isp) Network is shaping traffic?? I mean is there a way to find it out than just assuming it with the slow dns and all?? I have made a test and I have found that the Average DL speeds are 2.2MB, is there anyone who can help me out with some solution??
Old 03-01-2012

Re: How to check if (ISP) Network is shaping traffic

Quote:
I am running a small office which is having a 20Mb connection and I just want to know How to check if (isp) Network is shaping traffic?? I mean is there a way to find it out than just assuming it with the slow dns and all?? I have made a test and I have found that the Average DL speeds are 2.2MB, is there anyone who can help me out with some solution??
As far as my knowledge the isp shapes the traffic according to the limits that you are paying for, in simple words if you are having a 20Mb connection then it won?t go over the same, I just wanted to know what is the problem that you are facing I mean that a Average DL speed of 2.2MB is good and I think that it is right as per your limit as well.
Old 03-01-2012

My mistake actually I have mentioned the load times of the load times and not the DL speeds, I am aware that the 20Mb according to what I pay for but then the problem that I am facing is that, I have got a lot of complaints saying that the load times has been decreased to what we used to get earlier, The problem is for all the sites not just for some of them, I am not very sure but then I think that ISP is specifically shaping HTTP traffic and on the other hand it is speeding the dl for the data transfer and that?s what I am trying to find out.
Old 03-01-2012

If you are facing the problem mostly with the HTTP/HTTPS then this might be because of the slow dns, if you want to try out a workaround then I will suggest you to use another DNS for eg 8.8.8.8 and if you want then you can also use the google dns and see if it is making any difference and what you get from it. Just try it out and then let me know the response that you get.
Old 03-01-2012

Quote:
My mistake actually I have mentioned the load times of the load times and not the DL speeds, I am aware that the 20Mb according to what I pay for but then the problem that I am facing is that, I have got a lot of complaints saying that the load times has been decreased to what we used to get earlier, The problem is for all the sites not just for some of them, I am not very sure but then I think that ISP is specifically shaping HTTP traffic and on the other hand it is speeding the dl for the data transfer and that?s what I am trying to find out.
I think that you have thought right ?I am not very sure but then I think that ISP is specifically shaping HTTP traffic and on the other hand it is speeding the dl for the data transfer? I mean that you might not be downloading via p2p but then you might be downloading the web pages to your temp folder. On the other hand I think that the bandwith can also some in the scene, I mean that I have found that most of the network provider increase their bandwith in the peak hour and so, so there are possibilities that bandwith might be going to the lowest as well. If you want to try out something else then I will suggest you to block certain internet activity like YouTube etc in your organization just to check and see if it is making any difference or not.
Old 03-01-2012

You can also do some test like flushing the dns and in order to do so you just have to enter ipconfig /flushdns in the command prompt and you can also do an nslookup google.com in order to check how much time it is taking, just do the same and the n let me know what you find.
Old 06-01-2012

Hey guys thank?s for all these workaround, I will surely try them out and will let you know the result as soon as possible, I really appreciate your help.

TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Tags: , , , ,