Thread: Need Suggestions for Sharing WiFi

Need Suggestions for Sharing WiFi

I am willing to use my friend WiFi connection and his signal is broadcast with a wireless router, I have checked his signal which is weak. In my case I am having a omnidirectional antennae which is mounted out of my house and it is also having a cable attached to it, actually I want to connect to my friends signal and forward it to my router and here My router will give the connectivity to the network at my place, so I just wanted to know which hardware I will have to get for the wireless router and the omnidirectional antennae in order to eliminate a N connector that is at my place. Is there anyone who can help me out??

Re: Need Suggestions for Sharing WiFi

I am willing to use my friend WiFi connection and his signal is broadcast with a wireless router, I have checked his signal which is weak. In my case I am having a omnidirectional antennae which is mounted out of my house and it is also having a cable attached to it, actually I want to connect to my friends signal and forward it to my router and here My router will give the connectivity to the network at my place, so I just wanted to know which hardware I will have to get for the wireless router and the omnidirectional antennae in order to eliminate a N connector that is at my place. Is there anyone who can help me out??
    Before I suggest you something about this I just wanted to know that what is the signal strength of the antenna that you are having outside your house?? Just answer me the same for further help.

I have checked the signal strength of the outdoor antenna and it is quite strong as well, I just want to know that which hardware should I get in order to set it between the antennae and the router, any further help regarding this will be appreciated.

I have checked the signal strength of the outdoor antenna and it is quite strong as well, I just want to know that which hardware should I get in order to set it between the antennae and the router, any further help regarding this will be appreciated.
    I did not get you properly but then if you are talking about Router with an external WiFi antena port then I think that you can just try to replace the antenna on the router, I don’t think that you need some kind of other hardware for the same. Hope that helps

Even I thought of that but then I was not that sure, actually I had also contacted the netgear and I had addressed them the same situation and I has also asked them if I need an additional hardware or something and even they said that there is no need of any additional hardware as well, They said that I can carry my work by changing a few settings and by connecting the antennae to my router. They had also said that I will have to make some Firmware changes in the WW-DRT in order to set it up successfully but then I do not have an idea about that, so is there anyone who can help me out in detail with that part???

As far as from what I have understood from your situation I think that you will have to un-screw the existing antenna and replace with a new one, you will also have to use a measure-cut coax cable with the respected connector that you have in order to extend the connection between your router and the antenna, I think that this is only hardware that you will have to get, just make sure that you get the right resistance parameter for the cable. Just do the above and I don’t think that there will be any problem ahead.

Hey thanks for that, I will attach the antennae to the router in the same way as you have specified but then you all did not suggested me anything about the firmware/software settings??? I really don’t have any idea about it. The other thing that I wanted to ask is that how will I select my friends connection at the router level?? I mean before getting the signal to the computer at my place??