Thread: How to Find IP Address of computer with the MAC address

How to Find IP Address of computer with the MAC address

hello friends, anyone have any idea about this? i want to find the IP Address of my pc with the MAC address, as i have a MAC address. so how can i do this? any hint or any idea to find this?

Re: How to Find IP Address of computer with the MAC address

Just launch yourself the ARP or RARP according to your need and you find the flow of command from your software.

There is no connection between an IP address and MAC address. A MAC address is a unique address detached hard into your card by the manufacturer. They are often copied on the map, to be able to know without having to install the card. just type xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xx, with x a hexadecimal number.

an IP address (xxxx type with 0 <= x <= 255) is an address that can be provided by your ISP (ISDN or ADSL or cable) or your OS, or by a DHCP server (eg router). These addresses are not unique, far from it (there is also not enough, which explains another as one moves to IPv6, in which IP addresses are of the form xxxxxx 0 <= x <= 255)

not entirely true. for example, when a machine starts, it issues a RARP request, saying my Mac is so, is it dont know my IP? but RARP is nothing but the ancestor of DHCP. but all may not have RARP server | BOOTP | DHCP . I think the utility that suit you best is CommView.

When you send a message, it is broken down into packets where the recipient is identified by its IP but these packages are also cut into frames where the recipient is identified by its Ethernet address (MAC). it is necessary to know the correspondence.

I think the MAC address has nothing to do with the IP address, MAC address can uniquely identify a network card, switch, router etc. but one can not infer the IP address from the MAC address. I put a network card on my PC, it has a unique MAC address, I get an IP address on my network if I ping my PC, I can get the MAC address, ok. Now I change my network card, it has another unique MAC address, I ping my PC again (assuming it has the same IP address) I get a new MAC address that will be specific to the network adapter and not the IP address. correct me if I'm wrong but that's what I had been taught.

it is not possible to deduce an IP address from the MAC address. the program found you, it allows you to identify the IP address and MAC address of an "active element" on a network, but not to deduct one from the other.

clear up some points: each network equipment in its material contains a unique MAC address. this address is read by the network manager, and normally transmitted with each frame. However, in a spoof, nothing prevents the manager to send another address. when talking to deduct an IP address from a MAC address, because it is ephemeris, just change the settings to break these couples.

actually a MAC address is a unique identifier for a network card. It is coded on 48 bits (6 bytes). It consists of 3 bytes for the manufacturer and number three octets define the network card (I'm not sure of the USIS 3 bytes). so that the computer can communicate and which must have the mac address. When you ping an ip, ARP will ask the network what is the mac address and in this way the 2 of the OSI model can send data to the right places. in fact there is the rarp to determine which IP address corresponds to a mac. I wanted a program that was one of those queries.

you're absolutely right, the mac address is indeed to travel information for jumps from one computer to another over an ethernet network, But to return to the original problem, rarp is not the only protocol, the main disadvantage is the use of local broadcast, and therefore not to be transmitted by the routers. (BOOTP and DHCP) use them as UDP packets, and are routed.

you can see the relationship between MAC addresses and IP addresses in the DOS command prompt by typing:

Code:
      A 
      2 	 arp-a
    but the arp table is constantly changing. So it will never be an exact match between the two addresses, unless you never change your position on the network and you do not change the IP addresses of posts.