Thread: Asus RT-N56U Dual Band Wireless N Router cannot be operated in conventional bridge mode

Asus RT-N56U Dual Band Wireless N Router cannot be operated in conventional bridge mode

I have recently bought a Asus RT-N56U Dual Band Wireless N Router as the Asus had mentioned that it supports true bridging but then now I have found that it cannot be operated in conventional bridge mode, I thought that the firmware would be supporting it but then it’s not. I don’t think that it is shaped as complementary part of a true bridging set up, I just want to know what the other user of RTN56U has to say about this??

Re: Asus RT-N56U Dual Band Wireless N Router cannot be operated in conventional bridge mode

I have recently bought a Asus RT-N56U Dual Band Wireless N Router as the Asus had mentioned that it supports true bridging but then now I have found that it cannot be operated in conventional bridge mode, I thought that the firmware would be supporting it but then it’s not. I don’t think that it is shaped as complementary part of a true bridging set up, I just want to know what the other user of RTN56U has to say about this??

Yes even I have been fooled by the Asus false impression of the Asus RT-N56U Dual Band Wireless N Router, I mean that in a true bridging set up the RTN56U should have been able to run in a normal IP sharing mode and it should also have been able to run as bridges attached to the client devices but then we are not having the same case. I wish that I would have bought the NetGear WNHDE111 before and I am really regretting on my decision of getting RTN56U. I want them to fix this through a firmware in their next release as soon as possible.

Re: Asus RT-N56U Dual Band Wireless N Router cannot be operated in conventional bridge mode

If you ask me then I think that having AP only mode is really not the way of saying it to be a true wireless client. I will suggest you to better use the "Hybrid" WDS mode and we can get it work in the way we want but even I expect them to fix this soon.

I did not get what you were trying to say by this “I will suggest you to better use the "Hybrid" WDS mode and we can get it work in the way we want” I mean that are you saying that what I have described above is possible using the Hybrid mode and so? Because I have tried to find out a way to obtain wireless client behavior but then I have not yet found a solution for the same. As far as the Hybrid mode is concerned I don’t think that it is possible to get the true bridging by it as well but then if you have found a solution then please let me know.

I am saying that we can use one N65U to be the Internet Gateway and then we can just use one or more and bridge them to the main router and after that we can share the internet access through the Ethernet as well as the wifi and this is possible from the hybrid mode. I will like to add that to do so it is necessary for the Gateway N56U to have the MACs of the entire client N56Us in its list and also the client N56Us should have the Gateway MAC in their lists and the wireless security setting should also be identical on each router and the firewall should be turned “off” that is on the client routers and if it is not so then there will be problem while accessing the internet, I am able to do this on the Tenda routers but then I don’t think that it won’t be possible unless the ASUS firmware allows it.