Thread: Malware bytes broke all file association in windows 7

Malware bytes broke all file association in windows 7

Hi, I have PC in which I have installed windows 7 and once I discovered as there are so many viruses in my machine and they have already fed up the file system but somehow I manage to get Malware bytes anti malware program for the machine. and the thing was so good as it has eradicated the virus but then it destroyed all the file associations regarding the operating system. Since this is happened I can't find a specified program. Please let me know what can I do to fix all these broken file associations? Any suggestion will be esteemed.

Re: Malware bytes broke all file association in windows 7

once i have also gotten the same problem with the machine and when i searched about the same i came to know that this happened not because of the MBAM rather It was the infection that broke file associations. Thus have you ever tried using any registry cleaner for the same?

If not then I would like to first recommend you that you should try to get any such cleaner installed in the machine and verify the registry and see how much programs you are getting back. Because i personally believes as after cleaning the registry you’ll be able to get your programs.

yeah, i am agree with the above user, in fact as far as broken file association is concern i would always recommend people to installed the anti-malware program you have installed and then scan the entire machine and if it discovers something, then do sfc /scannow (open command prompt as admin then type this: sfc /scannow ) this checks if windows system files are fine or not. And if it found any glitch over there then the program will automatically resolve it.

I think first of all you should make sure whether the association are broken due to the corrupted registry or because of the Virus attack. Because if there could be some problem with the registry then there are multiple software’s that you can used to cleaning the registry or else if this is because of virus that this MBAM would be the best program to try.

I would like to recommend you that you should try to make use of file association fixer in your machine. File Association Fixer is a program that you can make use of for the Windows operating system that can effortlessly repair the broken file associations.

File association links a file type, like .jpg or .txt, to a program so that whilst a file with the particular file type is executed, it is opened in the default program set. And the best thing i have ever experienced with the software is like it will automatically detects which operating system is installed and according to that offers you the relevant fixes.

once i have also gotten the same problem with the machine and when i searched about the same i came to know that this happened not because of the MBAM rather It was the infection that broke file associations. Thus, have you ever tried using any registry cleaner for the same?

If not then I would like to first recommend you that you should try to get any such cleaner installed in the machine and verify the registry and see how much programs you are getting back. Because i personally believes as after cleaning the registry you’ll be able to get your programs.
    Yeah, i was also having the same opinion and that why i have tried that as well, i have used CCleaner for the same and got some of the programs but now I have some startup things (and perhaps more that I don't know regarding them) that can't locate a specified program. Anyways thanks for the suggestion.

See its quite true like some of the files association gets broken, but still can you let me know which file association are causing problem? So that i could assist you further.

See its quite true like some of the files association gets broken, but still can you let me know which file association are causing problem? So that i could assist you further.
    I am not sure about other files but some of my .EXE files are still not working and as they are set up at startup as well and because they aren’t working all the thing stopped working because of that. So it would be better if i could get any solution for the .EXE at least and after that i could see if any other files causes any problem or not.

well, i would like to recommended you that you should try to download the file from the LINK i have mentioned and then follow the below mentioned steps.

• as you completely downloading the file from the link Use Right-click Save as option in your browser to download the fixes.

• Now unzip the file and extract the .REG file to Desktop.

• Once the files gets unzipped right-click the REG file and select Merge.

• Optionally, you can open the Registry Editor and after that using the Import option from the File menu, to merge the REG file contents.

Note – for applying this changes to the registry you must have to have administrative rights.