Thread: Not able to receive mail after deactivating Mac Avast's mail shield

Not able to receive mail after deactivating Mac Avast's mail shield

I am running mac os x on my computer and I am having Mac Avast's mail shield as well and I was forced to disable it as it was stopping me from receiving my mail and here I am using the Mac mail software. I don’t know why I was force to but then I am not able to receive mails anymore but I am able to send them. Is there anyone who has an idea about it and can help me out as well? Any help regarding the same will be appreciated.

Re: Not able to receive mail after deactivating Mac Avast's mail shield

I am running mac os x on my computer and I am having Mac Avast's mail shield as well and I was forced to disable it as it was stopping me from receiving my mail and here I am using the Mac mail software. I don’t know why I was force to but then I am not able to receive mails anymore but I am able to send them. Is there anyone who has an idea about it and can help me out as well? Any help regarding the same will be appreciated.
    Before I suggest you anything I will like to know the following things:
    1. Did you receive any error from the mail client that you are using?
    2. What is the version of the avast you are using?
    3. Are there any suspicious messages in the /var/log/system.log?
    4. Are you using POP3 or IMAP?
    5. To which mail server you are connected?

Just provide me with the above information for further help.

Hey I am having the same problem and I am using the following:
    • POP3 account.
    • Avast35600 Beta.

And even I am not able to receive any mails, it seems that the incoming emails are blocked but then I have not got any error messages or something to track the case of the same. Do you have an idea about this??

I will definitely try to help you out but then first answer me the following:
    • To which mail server you are connected??
    • Have you found anything suspicious in the system log or anywhere else?

Even I am facing the same problem, actually I am using Avast 35600 Beta and Mail from Mac. Currently I am using 3 mail accounts and two of them are working very fine but then one of it is not working and the same one is using the POP server. As far as the system log is concerned I am not aware of it, I mean that I am not able to find out what exactly is it? I have checked in the /var/log/system.log but then I am not able to find it out, will you help me with the same? Other than that I have found that all the three accounts work without any problem when I am deactivating the mail shield. Any further help regarding the same will be appreciated.

Same here with the Mac Mail on Snow Leopard and I am also having the latest beta (35600b) as well and I am having total five account from which three of them are working fine but then two of them are not working. From the ones which are not working one is using the one is using the POP server where as one is using the imap. I think that the avast algorithm is getting confused with the SSL and the STARTTLS, even though I have unencrypted them it is still taking more time. I think that the ones which are failing is trying to connect to the TCP ports 993 or 995 but then they are not failing immediately.

Yes it works in the same way that you have specified but then I have found that there is some problem going on with the servers which are not supporting imaps/pop3s and because of it they do not reject the connection but then keep trying to connect and then drops it after sometime. I have tried to contact the service support and they have said that it will be fixed with the next beta and after that it won’t keep on trying to connect and let you wait for long but then TCP timeout will be shorter if there is any problem.

Hey thanks for that and i will be looking forward to the next release and I really expect them to come up with a more flexible manual configuration option.Anyway thanks top you all for sharing your suggestions here, i really appreciate them.