Thread: Avast downloading file belonging to Windows Defender

Avast downloading file belonging to Windows Defender

I have started using Avast free version and other than that I am also having comodo firewall and windows defender as well and I have found that the avast was downloading a file which belongs to windows defender, actually I came to know about this because of the Comodo as it lets me know that what is installed by which program. I think that there is something wrong going on but then I am not that sure about it. Is there anyone who has an idea about it and can help me out as well??

Re: Avast downloading file belonging to Windows Defender

I have started using Avast free version and other than that I am also having comodo firewall and windows defender as well and I have found that the avast was downloading a file which belongs to windows defender, actually I came to know about this because of the Comodo as it lets me know that what is installed by which program. I think that there is something wrong going on but then I am not that sure about it. Is there anyone who has an idea about it and can help me out as well??
    I think that the windows defender might be enabled at that time and I will like to inform you that the Web Shield acts as a local proxy so you might be thinking that avast is downloading something but then it is actually getting downloaded by the web shield. So I don’t think that there is any kind of problem and it is normal.

Yes even I was going to share the same, I mean that I had faced the same and here the avast is not actually downloading anything it is the avast local host proxy the web shield and this task is managed by avastSvc.exe. The local host proxy intercepts http traffic and routes in order to make sure that they are scanned. I think that you would have seen the same in the logs of the comodo firewall.

Even I was thinking as you are thinking now but then I came to know that the avast is just scanning the traffic that is passing through it. In this case it is the Windows Update that is downloading for Windows Defender and it is done to keep the Windows Defender updated before it starts the daily scan and all. If you will use other tools like this as well then you will find the same result again.

I agree to you but then how come it is possible I mean that currently I am having the windows update disabled and only the Windows Defender was enabled so I don’t think that there is something related to the windows update. I have also checked by disabling the Windows Defender as well but then I am still able to see the same from my comodo firewall. That is making me think that there is something wrong going on here. Any further help for the same will be appreciated.

I think that the Comodo firewall is not capable of checking the parent application which might be using the localhost proxy but then I am not very sure about the same because I have not used it by now.