Thread: Avast app is restarting automatically even after closing it

Avast app is restarting automatically even after closing it

I am running Mac OS X 10.7.1 (Lion) on my machine and I have recently installed Avast v.6.0.1397 on it and the problem that I have started facing now is that the avast app starts at the log-in and when I try to close it then it gets close for that moment but then comes up again automatically. Is there anyone who has an idea about it and can help me out as well? Any help regarding the same will be appreciated.

Re: Avast app is restarting automatically even after closing it

I am running Mac OS X 10.7.1 (Lion) on my machine and I have recently installed Avast v.6.0.1397 on it and the problem that I have started facing now is that the avast app starts at the log-in and when I try to close it then it gets close for that moment but then comes up again automatically. Is there anyone who has an idea about it and can help me out as well? Any help regarding the same will be appreciated.
    If you are talking about the small icon in the right end of the menu bar then I will like to inform you that it actually pops up when it finds an infection, I think that there might be a resident process running in the background, This process has minimal requirement so it won’t harm your system in any term but the if you want to get rid of the same then you can do that by going in to the System Preferences of the avast and disabling it. Just try it out and then let me know if you were able to solve out your problem or not.

I think that you did not got my problem, I mean to say that I am aware that it is a resident process but then I am talking about the /Applications/avast!.app. I am having problem with it, I have tried closing it by selecting the "Quit" menu and the close button as well but then they are not actually closing it and it appears again after some time. Is there any other way to close it out or what?? I am newbie of this so I don’t have much idea about the same, Any further help for this will be appreciated.

I have checked about the problem that you have described and I have found some people facing the same but then I have not yet found a workaround for the same. I have found that the cause for this is because the app runs some script in order to check whether the avast is installed properly or not. During this it perform some kind of update/install/repair actions and these scripts store their activity in the /tmp/script.log-$PID. So just send me those outputs in a notepads file through personal message. So u can go through the same and will check it out and search a solution for this problem.

Hey I have followed the same path and I have also sent you the codes that I found in the location that you had specified, so just go through it and see if you can help me out. Thanks in advance.

I have went through the codes but then I don’t think that there is anything such as suspicious and there was nothing weird and unexpected in the output as well, I think that there Is something else going wrong. I will suggest you to run “ps –wwwlxA” command in the terminal and then again copy the output in to a notepad file and then send then again to me for further help.

OK I have now sent you the output of the “ps –wwwlxA” command as well just check it out and please help me further with the same. Hoping for a solution this time.

I have gone through the output and I have found that there are a no of app running at the same time, so I just wanted to know that have you started all those application or you they are running without your knowledge?? If you have not started them then it is really weird to start such no of application automatically. Other than these I have also found that there are some other utilities that are have crippled configuration. I will suggest you to type the “$ launchctl list” command without the quotes in the terminal and then post the output of the same here.

I have an the “$ launchctl list” command and I have got the com.avast.MacAvast in the output and now I have also removed the same by using the 'launchctl remove com.avast.MacAvast' command and now I think that the /Applications/avast!/Contents/MacOS/avast! Is terminated as well but then the other thing that I have noticed during this is that the app name was residing in the /Applications/avast!/Contents/MacOS/avast! And it was disabled as well. So I deleted it as well and after that I had rebooted the machine but then the problem now is that the app is not starting automatically and when I start it and then try to close it then it again starts automatically as it used to do before. I am really running out of ideas now and I don’t know what to do. Please help!!

Your problem seems to be quite weird as far as I know beta does not install any *.plist in $HOME/Library/LaunchAgents so I just wanted to know that are you using the legacy avast! For Mac 3.11?? because the latest beta is not having anything that is common form the old files and folders of the previous versions, they are just sharing the name and not anything else. Si if the “*.plist in $HOME/Library/LaunchAgents” File was created during the old avast 3.11then there are possibilities that it might be starting the latest avast GUI application accidentally. Just check it out and see if you are having the *plist in your system ot somewhere in the Trash and all??

Yes you were right, I was actually using old 3.11 avast on my Mac before updating the OS X to Lion and then installing the beta version. I will check it out and then will let you know if I am having the same case. Thanks for helping me out till now, I appreciate your help.