Thread: Using Avast slows down the virtual machine performance

Using Avast slows down the virtual machine performance

I am facing some problem with the free version of the Avast. I have Windows XP professional installed on my computer and after installing that I found that the performance of the virtual machine slows down a lot. I am having the VMware Server 1. Can you tell me that what could be the problem with this? If I try by disabling the real time protection then the it is running the virtual machine without any problem but as I activate the protection then it shows me the same problem again. Please help me with this.

Re: Using Avast slows down the virtual machine performance

It looks like, the Behavior Shield is not installed and that is the reason that the virtual machine performance is slow. This is one of the possible reason for this and I hope that installing the Behavior Shield will solve the problem for you.

I think that low RAM is the reason for this problem and so you can try by increasing it by 1 GB, it should have a good performance in the virtual machine at the same time without affecting the host computer's performance. There are many of the cases where increasing the RAM boosts the computer performance to a great extend and so I wish that this will do the same with you as well. Do this ans let us know that if this was helpful to you or not.

The only problem I encountered with the use of virtual machines is that significantly affect the computer's memory. An operating system like Windows XP runs quietly with 64 MB. However, some programs can require more memory. For example, when I wanted to make a video in Adobe Premiere So I found was to expand the memory on my XP virtual machine to 1GB Windows XP Pro.vmx file is part of the set of files from my XP virtual machine. As the effect of this change my computer became slower. Consequently, I had to expand the memory of my computer to 2GB to 4 GB to not feel the effect on the performance of RAM. Finally, to avoid running out of RAM recommend not to work with complex programs on the host computer while we are working on the virtual machine.

If you feel that the virtual machine performance is slow o respond then you can quickly defragment your virtual drives to make them faster as they were originally. Like a hard drive on a normal computer, the virtual hard disk on a virtual machine can be defragmented over time. If your virtual disk is setup to extend dynamically over time then fragmentation can become a serious problem and this is especially if your hard drive is low on space libre. You may notice your virtual machines running slower or be less sensitive and VMware itself can even notify you that your virtual disk is too fragmented.

While running your virtual machine, run the Disk Defragmenter by default as normal inside the virtual machine. It may take some time but after completion of the process you will surely gain some raise in the performance of the computer.

To improve performance even more, you should also regularly defragment the hard disk of the computer and that is is not much of a problem in Windows 7 and Vista as your hard drive are defragmented automatically, but if you use XP, you may want to install disc fragmentation. If you want more control defragmentation, you can still run the defrag command in an elevated command prompt for a wide range of analysis options and fragmentation.

Have you did the custom installation of that? have you installed just the File System Shield? In order to make that function properly, you must install the Shields. this could be one of the reason for this.

There are a number of programs that will allow us to create virtual machines, the following are the most popular:
    • VMWare . It is the market standard. It currently offers a free version.
    • QEMU . Free virtualization software. Very popular in the Linux world.
    • Virtual PC . The alternative of microsoft. Be included in the Server versions of Windows Vista. It is also free.
    • Virtual Box . The product of Sun MicroSystems. It is also Open Source.

At this point you have might be wondering about the performance offered by virtual machines. It depends on three factors:
    • The computer memory being the most critical.
    • Virtualization Software. Not all programs are equally fast virtualization.
    • It also depends on the operating system you install. Linux virtualization on Windows is somewhat slower than the virtualization of Windows on Windows.

This is not just the thing that you need to do for this.*Once the virtual machine OS defragmentation has completed, stop the machine and*open your VMware virtual disk properties. To do this in VMware Workstation, double-click the hard disk info on the main page of the machine virtual. Alternatively, if you use VMware Player, click the name of the virtual machine and select Virtual Machine Settings.* Then select the entry of the hard disk of the hardware tab and see if your virtual machine has multiple virtual disks, you may want to repeat these steps for each virtual disk.* Now click on the Utilities.*VMware will begin defragmentation of your virtual disk. It may take some time depending on the size of your virtual machine and how often you defragment it. Once done you will be notified that the defragment is complete.