Thread: Laptop doesn't show shared folders when connected by DrayTek Wireless Router

Laptop doesn't show shared folders when connected by DrayTek Wireless Router

I have recently switched from D-Link router to a latest DrayTek Vigor 2830Vn. There is a desktop computer along with single laptop configured on the LAN. Both are running Windows Vista Home Premium. When I was using the D-Link, I am able to see shared folders either they are connected wired or wirelessly. But now with DrayTek shared folders appear on the laptop only when it is connected with a cable. Other than this all other things work perfectly on wireless. Do I need to make any more setting on this new router in order to get shared folders on the laptop?

Re: Laptop doesn't show shared folders when connected by DrayTek Wireless Router

Are there any additional partitions on either HDD? Did you configure share "C" drive Ultimate system? Obviously, it seems to me that there is something which is preventing you access shared partitions on Laptop.

Re: Laptop doesn't show shared folders when connected by DrayTek Wireless Router

A "wifi" connection must just imitate a wired Ethernet connection and shouldn't build any sense to the extent that File & Printer Sharing is concerned. I hope that you have already installed and configured the firewall. You need to go through the settings and allow access to a picky IP address, otherwise range of addresses. After installing new Router, previously configured setting might have been lost or may be turned to default.

Windows peer-to-peer network can be somewhat irritating during that deference. It can be that the whole thing is configured completely, except since one of the browsers otherwise the workgroup controller is not updated and due to this you are not able access the file.

First of all make sure that you have no access restrictions on those shared folders. For the moment, click: My Network Places> Entire Network> Microsoft Windows Network
    • Search all the way through the workgroups.
    • See if you can find any shared folder?
    • If yes then click on that folder, check whether you can open it plus see the files or not?

Occasionally it might get few seconds or you might find error messages and while you attempt once more it works. And usually it depends what PCs where previously on when the PC you utilize started up.
    One thing I would like to tell that I don't like Windows peer-to-peer networking. Most of the people already complaining problems of this thing.

First of all check that whether you can successfully ping laptop as well as computer each other, together by name as well as by IP address?

Run ipconfig /all on both systems and see what you notice something strange.

Shared folder permissions are applied to limit access to a folder otherwise file that is shared over the LAN or any network. Users of the Administrators or else Power Users can only share folders on a Windows user server. Make sure that you are previously a member of the Administrators otherwise Server Operators group in order to share as well as access folders on a domain. To share NTFS volumes, you must simply have the Read permission.

I don't believe there is a hardware trouble, except being atom based, it was absolutely the drive that failed, and me restoring it beforehand was additional of a failed troubleshooting effort.

I don't have a clarification for every one of questions, except I'm sure that it's just a setup plus authentication error. I have heard that Windows XP Home has a few restrictions that XP Pro doesn't have, except file sharing can be done with Windows Vista & Win7.

Let's confirm a few settings on your Vista PC.
    • Open Control Panel>Network and Sharing.
    • Under the networking, next to your network name, it must state Private Network (make sure we are not considering Public Network). The issue might present here only.
    • Under Sharing and Discovery, click drop down arrows and go down the list. Make sure that all settings are proper. You can refer any manual for the settings.
    • Below File Sharing heading, turn OFF file sharing afterward click apply. Wait for a minute while Windows re-identifies network up. Next go back and turn ON File Sharing. A pop up may ask if you would like to create this a Private Network - click Yes.

Now try to access the folder again.

If you are not able to access a folder, make a fresh temporary folder. Right click on top of it and choose Share, after that Advanced Sharing. Place a check inside the box where it says "Share this folder" afterward click Permissions. Under Group otherwise username, choose Everyone, next on the permissions under, check the box saying Full Control and click on Apply.

The Map Network Drive options are the best way and can be used on both Desktop PC as well as laptop. For the network drive you can then assign any unused drive letter. Once it is mapped the Windows will automatically connect to the other drive when it is started, and can as well save your credentials therefore you don't need to enter them each time.