Thread: Cannot access WD2GO from work

Cannot access WD2GO from work

Hello friends, I am completed with the setup of my external drive at home and there is no problem in its functionality. I have examined the web access with the help of my laptop and there is no problem with that. I tried to make use of the web access as of work but shows me the message that says "The use of SSL or non-standard http ports is not permitted on Windows XP". This was with the 32-bit XP pro on the Small Business Server 2008 network. Is this some problem with the firewall or something else. Please suggest me if you are having any idea about this

Re: Cannot access WD2GO from work

This is not because of the firewall or something else. This is the problem with the Windows XP. To get this problem solved, you can try by repairing the system otherwise you can also reinstall the operating system. This is surely the problem with the operating system.

That will function without any problem. The trouble is that it is not secure and so it is not working for you. Just check the web address and you will find that the address is http: //wd2go.com instead of https: //wd2go.com. Just check that reply back if this is true.

The best thing that you can do is to contact the support and ask them about this issue. They will tell you that what is the problem with this and how it can be resolved. Post their reply over here again so that it will be helpful to all the other users.

You can make use of the WebDAV technology. WebDAV is a protocol that is to manage files on a Web server.

Some basic features of WebDAV:
    • Updating files. WebDAV can replace like Frontpage or FTP files between the server and the local PC. Because some operating systems already contain functions DAV, websites can be processed on the server as if they were stored locally. WebDAV is an extension of the http protocol, so the transfer can also be encrypted.
    • Control of multiple users. WebDAV granted the integrity of documents. Even when multiple users attempt to change a file simultaneously.
    • Files with additional attributes such as author, group, etc are provided.

To check the status or enable the WebClient service on a WebDAV client computer
    1. Click Start, click Administrative Tools, and then click Computer Management.
    2. In the details pane, double-click Services and Applications.
    3. Double-click Services.
    4. Perform a scroll down, click the right mouse button click WebClient, and then click Properties.
    5. Click on the Startup type list, click Automatic.
    6. Click on Apply.
    7. Click the Service status section, click Start.
    8. Click on OK.

Once the connection is made with a WebDAV directory, you can browse the files stored therein quickly both for content as well as for properties. For example, you can search for all files that contain the word "table".

WebDAV (Web-based Distributed Authoring and Versioning) was developed based on the known Internet HTTP technology. Using WebDAV, it is easily possible to access through the file explorer on an online hard drive. You do not need any additional software for the creation of WebDAV, but can make it directly from the operating system. The use of online storage space facilitates enormously. New files or directories by simply "copy and paste" are added to the Internet Drive. You need not log on the provider's website.

Here is the setup instruction of this

1. First, open My Computer, click on the menu "Tools" and select "Add Network Drive".
    2. In the subsequent window, select "for online storage or connect to a network server".
    3. You must then enter the web address of their online hard drive.
    4. Then click Next and enter your username and password.
    5. This completes the setup is complete and you can access through the "My Network Places" on the WebDAV drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Reese-R View Post
    Here is the setup instruction of this

1. First, open My Computer, click on the menu "Tools" and select "Add Network Drive".
    2. In the subsequent window, select "for online storage or connect to a network server".
    3. You must then enter the web address of their online hard drive.
    4. Then click Next and enter your username and password.
    5. This completes the setup is complete and you can access through the "My Network Places" on the WebDAV drive.
    Thank you so much for posting these steps. It worked for me. Thank you again....