Thread: Can My Book Live and WD2GO share files via WiFi?

Can My Book Live and WD2GO share files via WiFi?

I am thinking to setup the system such that the Android tablets must be utilized for allowing the access to the MS Office files from the disk with the help of the WiFi. The setup should be make such that it can open edit and save the files again to the shared disk. This must be similar to the PC on a LAN only mobile. I know that I will require to have the Office App but I am unsure that My Book Live and WD2GO will permit me to do this. Please reply if you have any idea about this. Thank you so much in advance.

Re: Can My Book Live and WD2GO share files via WiFi?

As per my knowledge, you will be able to transfer as well as view the data but this is not possible to modify that. This is for the reason that WD2GO will not permit you to do this. I really don’t know that if there is some technique to do that.

The feature that you are talking about is on high demand nowadays but this is put to wishlist. This is very dependent on the operating system. I don’t find any commitment on this that if it can be done in some short time. So I think that this is not possible at least for now. Who knows, it will be available soon for us. I am also waiting for the same as I also wish to do the same setup.

This is very good option to be considered but I really do not think that this is thr problem with the operating system (Android). If we talk about the Dropbox then it is having this functionality though it is having the Android operating system. Compared with 1.xx firmware, the version 2.00 brings several important innovations whose primary regards the abandonment of the MioNet functionality that enables remote access (via Internet) to files stored on the NAS and to share with other users. With 2GB WD, Western Digital is trying to ride the mode of cloud computing by qualifying the My Book Live, equipped with the 2.00 update, real personal cloud storage to centralize the entire digital data of the personal and professional user.

By the 2GB WD need to install the MioNet client software tedious to a computer to remotely access the My Book Live. Once connected to this interface, the My Book Live is visible in the desktop of the computer as a normal hard disk on which you can read or write data. In the interface WD 2GB, users can also manage document sharing and invite e-mail to other users who may in turn access the shared content from their Windows Explorer or Mac Finder.

The remote access feature 2GB WD is not the only improvement to this firmware 2.00.35. Western Digital offers us in fact also a function that creates a kind of restore points or points of security that is actually a full backup settings My Book Live, its data and backups carried out with WD SmartWare. The user can schedule full backups of the hard drive to another NAS and can then restore any problems that will completely erase the hard drive the My Book Live and reset the My Book Live with the settings and data from the point of desired security. Other than this the 2.00 firmware fixes a lot of diverse and varied bugs encountered with version 1.xx firmware (some twenty in all) which is not a luxury after all. It probably adds a few others.

This update of My Book Live 2.00 should probably steal the majority of users. If you insist, however continue to use the MioNet remote access to your NAS but be aware that the update is irreversible ie it is then impossible to return to the firmware 1.xx and reuse MioNet.

Western Digital has made available WD and WD 2go 2go Pro, two applications that provide access to your system with cloud storage devices in your company, the My Book Live. The two apps are compatible with iPhone OS and Android and allow you to open and share files stored at home anywhere. WD 2go is free and the paid Pro version and provides access to some advanced features.

Applications WD 2go Mobile offer remote access to files stored on disk using an iPad, iPhone, iPod touch or smartphones and tablets Android compatible and the specific company. Users can then share files and streaming media, accessing the documents with the guarantee that the data resides safely and under control at home. WD says that any type of file can be shared, from photos to videos, from business presentations to the documents.

You can use WD 2GB to simplify file sharing between co-workers, provide access to your files from any remote location connected to the Internet, and remote backup and protect your important data. In addition, you can:
    • Copy files from your computer at the office to your My Book Live at home, and vice versa.
    • Connect your PC and / or Mac to your My Book Live over the Internet, wherever you are.
    • Invite colleagues to join, share, and download files to your hard drive My Book Live.
    • Access files and multimedia content from devices with Apple and Android mobile applications WD and WD Photos 2GB.

I would like to tell you that if your router supports UPnP IGD, a direct point to point is set between your remote machine and your My Book Live.