Thread: Dell powerconnect 6224 with firmware 3.3.1.10 unable to work on port 1

Dell powerconnect 6224 with firmware 3.3.1.10 unable to work on port 1

I have two PowerConnect 6224 switches running firmware version 3.2.1.3. The two switches are functioning extremely well with this version.Recently, I tried to update the firmware to version 3.3.1.10. The update went fine, Nevertheless when reboot the switches, port 1 of both switches would not rise. When I boot the switches in the 3.2.1.3 firmware, all ports come as expected. In one of the switches, I even deleted the settings back to factory settings. When you start the firmware 3.3.1.10, a port will come up. If I go to 3.2.1.3, all ports work extremely fine.i dont imagine it's a configuration trouble.

Not convinced if this is relevant or not, nevertheless both switches are old, so have the flash of age and not spare.Has anyone else experienced this trouble? Is there a way to acquire a port to use firmware 3.3.1.10?

Re: Dell powerconnect 6224 with firmware 3.3.1.10 unable to work on port 1

If I look in the boot image at boot to match the version 3.3.1.10. This switch family use CLI, which vary from one version to another. Some elements of the other, while others have feature suttle that changes with new ones. For example 4.xxx is standardizing more of a type familiar Cisco deployment.

If the update looks good, then I suggest to establish and do a show FW bootvar / version and observe if the two images are shown. If one is blank, then you have to take some corrective measures. You have to reboot the switch and select option 2 from the expanded menu. I imagine the option is 13 for the flash file system. This will correct the irregularities in flash. in reality have not seen a port to go down, nevertheless they have in other ports. I encourage you to copy / paste your running-config in Notepad or putty as a backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicky Woodley View Post
    If I look in the boot image at boot to match the version 3.3.1.10. This switch family use CLI, which vary from one version to another. Some elements of the other, while others have feature suttle that changes with new ones. For example 4.xxx is standardizing more of a type familiar Cisco deployment.

If the update looks good, then I suggest to establish and do a show FW bootvar / version and observe if the two images are shown. If one is blank, then you have to take some corrective measures. You have to reboot the switch and select option 2 from the expanded menu. I imagine the option is 13 for the flash file system. This will correct the irregularities in flash. in reality have not seen a port to go down, nevertheless they have in other ports. I encourage you to copy / paste your running-config in Notepad or putty as a backup.
    Reboot the switch and observe the splash screen before the menu alternative, to boot the version as it moves through. This version should match the "3.3.1.10" image.

I followed the upgrade instructions exactly, and the boot code was updated to 3.3.1.10, as indicated in the welcome screen.

I do not imagine my setup is causing the trouble, for the reason it erases the factory default settings, then reboot the switch. When they made the change, I connect a cable, having the other end connected to a second switch, each port in 6224, one at a time. Each port went fine, except for port 1. When I begin switch to the previuos image, reaching all ports when linked to one more switch.It seems strange that I have this trouble in two switches and can double the time, nevertheless the swtich works extremely fine. There must be something different, although do not know what it could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicky Woodley View Post
    I followed the upgrade instructions exactly, and the boot code was updated to 3.3.1.10, as indicated in the welcome screen.

I do not imagine my setup is causing the trouble, for the reason it erases the factory default settings, then reboot the switch. When they made the change, I connect a cable, having the other end connected to a second switch, each port in 6224, one at a time. Each port went fine, except for port 1. When I begin switch to the previuos image, reaching all ports when linked to one more switch.It seems strange that I have this trouble in two switches and can double the time, nevertheless the swtich works extremely fine. There must be something different, although do not know what it could be.
    Okay, do not imagine your setup is the trouble, as I was working in previous version. Have you done the "show bootvar"

My laboratory has been at the first port of the second ASIC misbehave (48port switch). I wonder if this is not a similar trouble. Incidentally, the reason I had to check the version in this particular change is our laboratory has witnessed the corruption of the flash after an upgrade and a possible indicator is a missing image. However this is not the only indicator - the erratic behavior is also seen in others.

This sounds like a problem and needs to be reported. It is one more suggestion I have. Backup your running configuration to an external source (TFTP server ).Restart the switch and enter the extended menu (option 2 when prompted after the reboot). Select the option above (13) System for Flash file format.If corrupttion,it will try to solve otherwise should be benign.

Supplementary items that just came to mind. I'm assuming that the change involving the images of the running configuration challenging port has not distorted. Verify?

We had exactly the similar trouble in one of two after upgrading to PC6224 v3.3.1.10.Works extremely well with other firmware versions up to Dell .Support ticket will be updated if you manage to resolve / obtain an explanation.

There is Engineering update released but not available to all customers. So next week there should be update for everybody.

If anyone else is experiencing the similar trouble, you desire to contact Dell support to obtain the latest firmware. (No ETA for this will be an official release).

My support contract has ended, and Dell is not willing to give me the release of Engineering, even though general release broke my device.Finally found this fix on dell firmware website. Now my trouble is fixed. thanks everyone for helping me to overcome my trouble

Hello,

I am desperately looking for a firmware image for a Dell 6248 switch.
    I can't get one from the website (size 0 bytes). I am using a very old firmware image and I need to upgrade it.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I found the firmware link of switch which you were looking for. Below is the download link and description of firmware. Second link is the most recent firmware dated : 11/8/2011 (V.PC6200v3.3.2.3, A26 ). Download the same and run it in your system. The first link is a application which can be used for added benefits.

Application download

Firmware Download

Hello

Thanks for your reply, however the download link does not work (this is why I posted). If you try to download the firmware, it does nothing.
    As for the application, this is huge and bloated and I don't want to run that on my system if I can avoid it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by uski View Post
    Hello

Thanks for your reply, however the download link does not work (this is why I posted). If you try to download the firmware, it does nothing.
    As for the application, this is huge and bloated and I don't want to run that on my system if I can avoid it.
    On which browser are you trying to download the firmware. I tried it on Internet Explorer 8 and selected the second option to download the firmware and but it gave me an error saying that I am not logged in as admin and it requires some net framework. Since i am in my office, i cant try downloading here, but surely from home i would be able to.

Quote Originally Posted by simond View Post
    On which browser are you trying to download the firmware. I tried it on Internet Explorer 8 and selected the second option to download the firmware and but it gave me an error saying that I am not logged in as admin and it requires some net framework. Since i am in my office, i cant try downloading here, but surely from home i would be able to.
    I think this is because you tried to use Dell's Download Manager.
    I had the option not to use it, so I guess it should work fine without it.
    I can't use it anyway as I am exclusively using Linux.

I would appreciate it a lot if you could try at home and report whether it works or not. Thanks in advance!