Thread: Cannot access my own shared folders

Cannot access my own shared folders

My computer is on network and I have some problem to access my shared folders. Actually, when I share any of the folders then Other computers on the network can see that without any problem but I cannot access that folder. This sounds weird but its true in my case. Whenever I try to access that folder then it shows me the message which is something like this: "\\mycomputername is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The specified network provider name is invalid."I cant understand that what is the problem with this and how can I get this problem resolved. If myou can provide me any solution for this then I will be really thankful for this.

Re: Cannot access my own shared folders

You must encompass the home network before beginning and this is for the reason that homegroup is nothing but the file and printer sharing "overlay" which is lying on the current network. Other than this , you must also ensure that the current network location is put as "Home network". I a m saying this because the HomeGroup will just function on the networks which is put as Home network location. I hope that this will be helpful to you.

If 'you are using the Windows XP operating system then here is a very good explanation about this issue that why this is happening to you an dhow this can be solved. You must check this and see if it is helpful to you or not.

I have already had this problem, and after a long search I found the solution. You ought to look at your firewall settings because they would be blocking the access for some security reason. What you can try is disabling the firewall on all computers and then see if it does manage to get into the folders. You can lower the settings for the firewall and enable that again. This could be the reason for this problem and I wish that disabling the firewall will allow you to access the folders.

Are you trying to have access to the system folder. If yes then it must require the Administrator permission to do that. If you are not the admin then ask administrator to provide the privilege to do the same.

This problem can occur if some of the subsequent conditions are met. Like NetBIOS over TCP / IP is disabled on one or more computers in the workgroup or the Computer Browser service is not started or is disabled on one or more computers in the workgroup. This problem can also occur if file sharing and printer for Microsoft Networks is not installed or is blocked by Windows Firewall.

I share the public folder on each PC but I can only connect to the Public folder on PC2. The shares are active on each PC. What I also found strange is if I want to let me show all the administrative shared folders on the computers where they are then I can not find objects. It looks as if there were no shares on the computers. In Explorer I can see to the proper folder but with the icon for a share. If I want to connect a network drive, the PC displayed in my network a message that I can not browse it. Please help!!!

I think that there is some trouble with the operating system installed on your computer. See if any of the above suggestions helps you. If you get out of the issue then it is really good but if you failed to solve the issue then you can try by repairing the system. If repairing also not worked for you then you can do the clean install of the operating system again.