Thread: Want to Share Internet through USB Wireless Broadband Modem

Want to Share Internet through USB Wireless Broadband Modem

Hello Freinds,
    I would like to share my internet connection with the other computer on my home network is this possible? I have the Trendnet 54Mbps 802.11g Wireless Firewall Router TEW-432BRP Verizon USB727 USB Wireless Broadband Modem and I can connect to the internet through the VZAccess manager software that came with 720 USB modem or I can set it up to connect as a regular Dial up connection.

Re: Want to Share Internet through USB Wireless Broadband Modem

Hello
    if you have an Ethernet card already installed PC then You might be able to use the built in feature of internet connection sharing (ICS) . Your PC effectively becomes a router. You can connect your Ethernet card to a network switch in order to connect other computers or even a wireless access point create a WiFi network. If you want to use a router (this is my preference), you can still track your usage by logging into the Verizon Wireless web site. It's not real time (updates every couple days), but it's close enough to tell if you're in good shape or need to cut back.

these detailed steps for sharing his EVDO Card via WiFi to other 2 other laptops. Please note these directions are for the AirCard 580, but CAN be used for any EVDO Card.

Verizon Sierra Wireless AirCard 580
    Verizon BroadbandAccess and NationalAccess

Dell Inspiron 6000 WiFi Setup for Windows XP for sharing Verizon NationalAccess connection.

First, make sure you disconnect any WiFi connections you may currently have.
    You will need to have two or more laptops that are WiFi capable.
    I used the Verizon Sierra AirCard 580 (I think this should work with any Verizon card.)

1. Install Verizon software

-Install Verizon NationalAccess software.
    -Open VZAccess Manager and start NationalAccess (make sure it can authenticate and connect)

2. Share the Verizon NationalAccess connection.

• Go to Start->Connect To->Show all connections
    • Right click on NationalAccess-BroadbandAccess and select Properties
    • Click Advanced Tab
    • Under Internet Connection Sharing, click Allow other network users to connect through this computer's...
    • In the Home networking connection drop-down select: Wireless Network Connection. (Note this will change the
    • Wireless Network Connection IP settings to a static address. Not sure why, but don't change it back to DHCP.)
    • Close settings and go back to the VZAccess Manger. Close connection and re-connect.

3. Setup a peer-to-peer wireless WiFi network.

• Go to Start->Connect To->Show all connections
    • Right click on Wireless Network Connection and select Properties
    • Click the Wireless Networks tab.
    • In the Preferred networks box, click the Add button.
    • Enter a SSID name: NAnet or whatever you want.
    • Set Data encryption to: Disable
    • Make sure you click the box at the bottom for: This is a computer-to-computer (ad-hoc).... (This allows other
    • WiFi computers to see the Wireless network.)
    • Click the OK button to save everything.
    • Close everything down and restart the computer.
    • When the system comes up give it a while and you will see the wireless network trying to connect to the
    • peer-to-peer network you created. The first time it will take a while, so be patient.

4. Setup remote laptop to connect to your peer-to-peer WiFi network.

Again, make sure you do are not connected to any WiFi networks. If so, disconnect them before continuing.

- Start the second laptop. XP should see the new peer-to-peer WiFi network and should try to connect to it.
    It will take a while to connect and acquire the network address. Don't try to help XP, this seems to take awhile.
    Wait till XP says the wireless network is now connected.

• Go to My Computer->My Network Places->View Network connections.
    • At the top of the list you should see Internet Gateway: NationalAccess-BroadbandAccess...
    • (This is the share connection from the host laptop.)
    • If the Internet Gateway shared connection is not shown, you need to setup up a home or small office network.
    • To setup the network:
    • Click the: Setup a home or small office network option. Click the next button.
    • XP may show disconnected hardware, if so, click the Ignore disconnected network hardware box.
    • XP should see the shared connection to the host system. Don't change XP recommendation to use this connection.
    • Click next till finished.
    • Now you should see the Internet Gateway icon for NationalAccess-BroadbandAccess...
    • Start Internet Explorer and you should be able to browse the network via the shared connection

Notes:

- Seems like Venturi compression is not used when browsing the net from shared laptops. I think VZAccess
    Manager is by-passed when accessing from a remote system and Venturi is not used. source-evdoforums.com

ThumbsUp Re: Want to Share Internet through USB Wireless Broadband Modem

Very Good it Works, I did thought had to manually set the computer conecting to the one with verizon to manual ip the first time after that works wonderfull , dsable firewall the first time and enable it back as soon as everything works.

I have been trying to do this for about a week now but it doesn't seem to work. POssibly due to the fact that my usb modem always connects with verizon access dial up(#777)instead of broadband. or should it matter ??

Hello. I too have Verizon USB aircard. Will this work? It seems to not work. How can I share the internet with other devices (i.e. iPad, tablets, etc.).

Thanks,
    Michelle

I dont think so there would be any change in the procedure for the tablets. As far as your problem is concerned about the connection all i can say is that ensure that the device that you are going to connect with the Verizon is set to the manual ip. So that's what you should be checking out for sure. Upon that disable all the firewalls and there would be no problems with the connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryan2011 View Post
    I dont think so there would be any change in the procedure for the tablets. As far as your problem is concerned about the connection all i can say is that ensure that the device that you are going to connect with the Verizon is set to the manual ip. So that's what you should be checking out for sure. Upon that disable all the firewalls and there would be no problems with the connection.
    How do I know if it is set up to the manual IP? Where can I look to know that is verified?

THanks.