Thread: Sharing mobile Usb internet from pc1 to pc2 via router

Sharing mobile Usb internet from pc1 to pc2 via router

I have internet on PC1 coming from the attached USB Vodafone mobile device (via usb cable) and i'm trying to share it with PC2 using the ethernet cable via router.
    (i cant make a direct cable connection in between both pc because it seems that cable is too long, over 20meters and is not working, so i am using the router to increase signal)

I've made a picture for easy understanding about how the cables are pluged in all the devices/PCs.
    PC1 have internet via the usb mobile device working on it and i created a share on this connection (ICS) and using after the Marvel ethernet card from pc1 to connect to wan port on the router
    The mobile device uses DHCP to send the ip addresses to its lan connection so is set on automatically assign mode.
    At this point , im not sure how i must set up the Marvel ethernet card which goest in wan port ( if i need to assign an ip to it or leave it on auto also) and the router (Nat and/or what ip/ dns to use or to enable dhcp)

Any help will be appreciated. thanks

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by loopax; 24-11-2011 at 10:18 PM.

Re: Sharing mobile Usb internet from pc1 to pc2 via router

I dont know why cant you have:

USB Vodafone mobile device >>> router >>> PC1 & PC2 connected separately?

Right now from what I can see your routing is off. If your router has an IP address of 192.168.1.1 on the LAN side, then your PC2 will not connect because it's 'gateway to the internet' is the router but the router may not know where to go from there. Unless the router knows it's gateway (should be 192.168.1.101) then it will fail.

well the vodafone is a stick (like an usb flash stick) which must be pluged in the pc usb and install its software and drivers in the pc so i cant have vodafone -> router directly, more than that the router has no usb ports on it

First of all you will have to connect the mobile Usb internet via USB to PC1. After that you have to connect PC2 to PC1 via ethernet. Then you have to setup up ICS or some proxy on PC1. Of course, PC1 needs to be switched on, otherwise PC2 will have no net access. You will however have to keep pc1 turned on all the time.

yes thats how the cables are right now (you can see in the picture) and the pic also shows Local Area Connection 9 shared (ICS), but im still not sure, do i have to make the ICS on the Local Area Connection 9 which was created by the vodafone usb device and from which im getting the internet in PC1 or the ICS must be made on the Local Area Connection ?(Marvel ethernet card which connects to the router)

Ig PC1 is configured as a plain router, rather than as a NAT such as ICS, just forward the port to the IP address of PC2. In this case, for PC2 to have any Internet access [Router] must have a route table entry directing it to send packets for PC2 to PC1. Alternatively you can configure PC1 as a bridge, then everything will act like PC2 is directly connected. Follow the guide from here - ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) Guide for Windows XP