Thread: Not able to turn Windows Firewall on and it says that it is being managed by vendor application.

Not able to turn Windows Firewall on and it says that it is being managed by vendor application.

I am running windows 7 on my computer and the problem I am facing is that I am not able to turn on the Windows firewall, I mean when I am trying to do so then it says that these settings are being managed by vendor application which is Norton in my case. I don’t know what’s wrong I was able to keep the Firewall on as well as the Windows Firewall on at the same time. As far as I remember I have not changed any settings. Is there anyone who has an idea about it and can help me out? Any suggestion regarding the same will be appreciated.

Re: Not able to turn Windows Firewall on and it says that it is being managed by vendor application.

I am running windows 7 on my computer and the problem I am facing is that I am not able to turn on the Windows firewall, I mean when I am trying to do so then it says that these settings are being managed by vendor application which is Norton in my case. I don’t know what’s wrong I was able to keep the Firewall on as well as the Windows Firewall on at the same time. As far as I remember I have not changed any settings. Is there anyone who has an idea about it and can help me out? Any suggestion regarding the same will be appreciated.
    I think that having two firewall at the same time is a not a better idea I mean that it is said to be counterproductive and I have also found that it slows the performance of the machine and these two programs van also conflict between each other and I think that the this might be the case with you as well. I will suggest you to use the Windows firewall only.

Re: Not able to turn Windows Firewall on and it says that it is being managed by vendor application.

Yes I am aware of it know and I was knowing all this before having both firewall on and that is what I am willing to do know and it is that I am willing to use Windows firewall only but then for that I will have to turn off the Norton firewall, and that’s the problem I am facing and I am looking at a solution for the same. I have tried to turn it off a no of times and in no of ways but then it is not helping me out. So is there any solution to turn it off somehow? Any further solution for the same will be appreciated.

I think that you will have to use a third-party firewall in order to turn off the Windows Firewall because you really need one firewall only and if you are using and not able to turn off the Windows Firewall using it then you can use other third part firewall, if have found some free third-party firewall so you can just try them out and see if it is making any difference:
    • ZoneAlarm Free Firewall 2010
    • Comodo Firewall
    • Online Armor Free

Yes I think that turning off the windows firewall will be a better choice because I have found that they are more advanced then the windows firewall and make sure that after using a third part firewall you don’t use the windows firewall with it again because your really do not get any kind of extra protection having two and there is a unnecessary risk as well. I have found a no of people resulting in such kind of problem and the cause if it was conflicts between the firewalls most of the time.

Even I am having the same case actually I have switched to win 7 recently and I have also installed the Norton Internet Security 2011 but then now I have decided to use the Windows Firewall and I want to turn off the Norton Smart Firewall but then when I am trying to do the same then I am getting the same message saying that "these settings are managed by vendor application Norton Internet Security." So I just wanted to know how will I now disable the Norton Internet Security 2011??

Even I am having the same case actually I have switched to win 7 recently and I have also installed the Norton Internet Security 2011 but then now I have decided to use the Windows Firewall and I want to turn off the Norton Smart Firewall but then when I am trying to do the same then I am getting the same message saying that "these settings are managed by vendor application Norton Internet Security." So I just wanted to know how will I now disable the Norton Internet Security 2011??
    If you want to disable the firewall of the Norton Internet Security 2011 permanently then just follow the below steps:
    • Go to start and then click on run and then type “devmgmt.ms” in the command prompt.
    • After that you will get a window and then just go to the view tab and then click on the devices by connection and show hidden devices and after that just double click on the windows firewall authorization driver.
    • And then in the driver tab just change the demand into automatic and then start the current status and you are done. You will disable the firewall permanently and you will not face those messages again and now you will be able to use the windows fire wall without any problem.

Hey thanks for your solution I have finally solved it out, I mean that I have permanently disabled the Norton Internet Security 2011 and now I am using the windows firewall.