Thread: Getting "windows update error 80072F78" after installing ESET Smart Security 5 BETA

Getting "windows update error 80072F78" after installing ESET Smart Security 5 BETA

I have recently installed ESET Smart Security 5 BETA and the problem that I have noticed is that the windows update is not working properly I mean that it is able to find the updates but then I don’t know why it is not able to install them as well and it fails to install them but then when I uninstall it then the problem disappears and when I reinstall it then the problem occurs again. Is there anyone who can help me out with this? Any help regarding the same will be appreciated.

Re: Getting "windows update error 80072F78" after installing ESET Smart Security 5 BETA

I have recently installed ESET Smart Security 5 BETA and the problem that I have noticed is that the windows update is not working properly I mean that it is able to find the updates but then I don’t know why it is not able to install them as well and it fails to install them but then when I uninstall it then the problem disappears and when I reinstall it then the problem occurs again. Is there anyone who can help me out with this? Any help regarding the same will be appreciated.
    Before I suggest you I will like to ask you a few questions to understand you problem better:
    1. Have you tried to use Eset uninstaller tool to uninstall it?
    2. Which antivirus or eset version you were using before?
    3. When your machine is finding the updates then is it failing at the start itself or between the installing processes?

Re: Getting "windows update error 80072F78" after installing ESET Smart Security 5 BETA

Yes I have tried using the ESS uninstaller as well and I have followed the safe process of uninstalling as well. I mean that I have uninstalled it in the safemode and after that I rebooted the machine and then reinstalled it again but then it is not making any difference.

Previously I was using ESET Smart Security v4 and I was not having any problem with it and I the windows update was working well and was installing the updates without any problem.

The installation is failing at the start itself and it is not proceeding at all. Is there any other solution that I can try to solve it out or should I again switch back to the previous version of it??

You can try out disabling the firewall and also by switching between the various firewall integration modes in order to check it they are making any difference or not. Just check it out and then let me know what you get if the problem is solved by that then well and good and if not then I will try to help you with other solution.

I don’t think that trying out the above solution will make any effect because the problem is not with the Windows update but then it is something to do with the Eset, I mean that it is appearing as if the Eset is stopping the updates being applied as you have specified that after uninstalling it you were not having the same problem. So I think that you will have to wait for the next update to find out what the matter is.

I think that there are 2 possibilities, first thing is that the web protection might be scanning a larger file and because of which the windows update is resulting in the timed out so I think that one can surely try to solve it out by disabling web and real-time protection.The other possibility that can appear in this case is that the firewall might have been attacked, I mean that there are possibilities that the dns will be flooded so here once can try to disable the firewall.