Thread: Is ESET NOD32 Smart Security v5.0.84.0 RC better for zero day protection

Is ESET NOD32 Smart Security v5.0.84.0 RC better for zero day protection

Hey friend I just wanted to know that is ESET NOD32 Smart Security v5.0.84.0 RC better for zero day protection and if it is then someone explain me the reason. I have found that some AV are now having sandboxing as well so I just wanted to know what ESET SS v5 is having in TheatSense to give it a competition. Any suggestion regarding the same will be appreciated.

Re: Is ESET NOD32 Smart Security v5.0.84.0 RC better for zero day protection

Hey friend I just wanted to know that is ESET NOD32 Smart Security v5.0.84.0 RC better for zero day protection and if it is then someone explain me the reason. I have found that some AV are now having sandboxing as well so I just wanted to know what ESET SS v5 is having in TheatSense to give it a competition. Any suggestion regarding the same will be appreciated.
    I think that the HIPS feature of Eset v5 will really help us to get the zero day protection much better than before but then I also want to ass that it will do so with the news default settings and not with the default settings and as far as the sandboxing competitor is concerned I think that the ESET will be able to protect the digital world using the cloud and I think that it will be pretty much effective as well.

I think that the HIPS feature of Eset v5 will really help us to get the zero day protection much better than before but then I also want to ass that it will do so with the news default settings and not with the default settings and as far as the sandboxing competitor is concerned I think that the ESET will be able to protect the digital world using the cloud and I think that it will be pretty much effective as well.
    I don’t think that the Cloud will be effective for the zero day protection as compared to that of the sandboxing and I think that the cloud-definitions will just lack behind being incomplete. I will also like to share that the cloud should be taken as a tool and not as a competitor for the traditional methods and as far as the ThreatSense is concerned I think that it will be able to offer a good protection in order to avoid unknown threats with the help of the generic signatures and heuristics they have.

I will like to inform you that the hips are already having the new rules set up in the default mode but then they are not visible to the user by now and they will be improved in the module updates further and I think that the module updates will really help in improving the zero day protection. There is actually no need of releasing new software for the Eset in order to change the mechanism in providing the zero day protection and yes I agree to you that the cloud will not help in giving better zero day protection because it is only introduced to detect threats faster by the eset.

I will like to inform you that the hips are already having the new rules set up in the default mode but then they are not visible to the user by now and they will be improved in the module updates further and I think that the module updates will really help in improving the zero day protection. There is actually no need of releasing new software for the Eset in order to change the mechanism in providing the zero day protection and yes I agree to you that the cloud will not help in giving better zero day protection because it is only introduced to detect threats faster by the eset.
    I don’t agree upon that I mean that if you will look at the subset of the cloud services as "definitions/heuristics-in-the-cloud" then the cloud will be helpful in giving zero day protection. I agree that the Cloud-based definitions might not but then I think that we should wait for them to come up with the Cloud-based definitions as soon as possible.

Here I will like to know that what are the advantages over local signatures and heuristics and I am asking this because I don’t think that there is any such advantage and as far as I know cloud was previously used for rapid reaction to the new threats which were exposed by core of the ThreatSense engine and woth the added reputation services further I think that the file classification/priority will be used for more faster discovering of new threats and even more with the filtering of whitelisted files. I will also like to inform you that the Blacklisting has not been performed by now but then there are possibilities that it will be able to avoid infections and later after the signature update it can be used for blacklisting zoo malware as well and using the generic signatures they will be able to block it as well.

I think that the cloud-heuristics might need some time and even users in order to give a file a flag of suspicious through its reputation and I really don’t think that we should expect proactive protection from the cloud-heuristics because I think that a True proactive method must be able to give a file a flag of suspicious within no time and it should be very instant.

I don’t think that the ESET will copy the method of the file reputation which is used by the Norton as well which is used for blocking unknown or new files which is one of the best techniques as well. I have found that now days the vendors are trying to improve the improve zero-day protection by the following methods:
    • intrusion prevention systems
    • sandboxing

And I think that the ESET has made a smart choice by choosing intrusion prevention systems and if all goes well then there are possibilities that the reputation data can be used in enhancing the HIPS in automatic mode as well.

I think that the interactive mode is better because Hips in automatic mode can be used for blocking well and not allowing where as the average users might want to give the rolls to all. I will also like to add that the Eset is kind of new in the Internet war and it will have to make it way to the top in order to attract the people else they will fall for other product and that’s very natural .

I have found that almost all the Security product are trying to make money even after putting the bad version in the market just for e.g. I will like to share that the Avast recently came up with its new release and just after 3 days than that it again came up with a new one where as both of them were found to be having a lot of bug so I think that we should at least wait for a week after their release in order to decide whether to get it or not.