Thread: How to connect to my Workgroup computer?

How to connect to my Workgroup computer?

My computer is connected to a wireless network which has other 10-12 users connected to it. I use Planet ADN-4100 router. I see other online users in "My Network Places". When i try to connect to them a dialogue box appears saying

"Connecting to Whatever-the-name-maybe"
    Username:
    Password:

But the owner of that remote computer said he didn't have any password protection. What username and password should i put? I'm confused. He even set a password in his computer for me so that i can put that password in the blank field. Nothing happened. Please help

Re: How to connect to my Workgroup computer?

Right click on my Computer and Choose Properties. Go to computer name and see that the work group is assigned common to your system. If the work group is different then you cannot get access to the network. Change the work group and reboot your system. That might fix the issue. If it is on windows server then you might need to get Network ID also.

Quote Originally Posted by Rance View Post
    Right click on my Computer and Choose Properties. Go to computer name and see that the work group is assigned common to your system. If the work group is different then you cannot get access to the network. Change the work group and reboot your system. That might fix the issue. If it is on windows server then you might need to get Network ID also.
    the work group name is common in our computer. While trying to connect, it asks for password and i don't know what password to put?

Can you try to change the computer names on both machines to something you'll easily recognize. Change the Workgroup name on both machines to the same name, eg. HOME. Reboot both machines and after that setup shared folders on both machines - preferably NOT desktops but folders on root of drives, eg. C:\Folder or G:\Docs.

Try to access them from one computer to the other using names, eg \\second_comp.