Thread: How to automount share as system user or non root in Mac OS X Lion

How to automount share as system user or non root in Mac OS X Lion

I have two machines, one iMac and Mac Book Pro.It was an upgrade from 10.6.8 to 10.7 of the iMac was a complete reinstall (erasing the disk and boot from a Flash installer I made for 10.7).The PAM was previously set (in 10.6x) automount AFP shares some of my local NAS. He had been working perfectly. After upgrading to Lion, the entries in / etc / fstab were still there, and shares are still working well.

Clearly something changed with the AFP in the configuration of Lion, however, the existing MBP still functions as before, so some new default automount / autofs environment has distorted, nevertheless, was not touched during the upgrade. I wonder if anyone has knowledge of an environment or AutoFS automount AFP or I can attempt to change in the iMac to acquire this working.

To further test things, I changed the fstab FSTYPE AFP only test cifs mounts and still shares the root user / system. However, if you use or mount_smbfs mount_afp obviously mount such actions as the user running the command, which is desirable. The only problem with doing this is if I disconnect from the network or share the drops are not automatically reconnect and would have to execute the command.

Re: How to automount share as system user or non root in Mac OS X Lion

But only root be capable to enter it. As a replacement for of being owned by the user account and group "staff" (which is what you acquire if you make use of Command-K in the Finder to organize an action), automount directories are owned by root / wheel. Attempt Chown, actions manually and nothing happens. No fault and chown.

I called Apple to lend a hand and they told me anything that involves material the command line is supported by the user

I have the same exact trouble. Upgrade to Lion the only root causes assembly to see they were fine before. Extremely frustrating! I also tried to change of ownership - in vain. I wonder how to acquire this work once more!

I had the same troubles with autofs, as far as I am able to tell there is no way to control that mounts the first part (or property) and a lion that has been pre mixed bag.

I was now capable to "wake up" to the mountains and make it perceptible once more by issuing a command "automount-vc" in the shell as root. It took a minute or two for all folders to be visible nevertheless it is accessible. I do not know how long it will last, since they seem to go to sleep after a while. It may be a solution until something more solid is discovered?

It seems to work well here. I normally use MacFUSE but AFP was able to work well. The big difference is that SSH actually has more capacity because keychain offers ssh-agent. Therefore, you can log in a password unencrypted anywhere. That is not so easy to do with the AFP. It may be possible but not easy.

Apple support has not read these threads. This is strictly a user to another. The step site operators to manage the post, when asked by high-level users.

I am not an expert in self-assembly, by any means. So if this is something to warn about Apple or is more than one. Make this demand more enjoyable feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeshwari3 View Post
    I am not an expert in self-assembly, by any means. So if this is something to warn about Apple or is more than one. Make this demand more enjoyable feature.
    I guess this is Apple worth warning about since the procedure worked in SL and does not work in Leon. As you've probably got something, I guess.

To tell the system to use the new automount information, you can restart the system. It should also be possible to run the subsequent command; nevertheless I found that does not always work properly.

Code:
    sudo automount-vc

Finally got this to work via AFP in 10.6.3. These are my choices: In the file / etc / auto_master file, I have the line

Code:
    / - Auto_afp-nosuid
    and entry into my auto_afp seems
    / Users / me / Movies / nas_stuff-fstype = afp afp: / / user: email: directory /
    I had no time to verify, but it seems that the 'AFP' at the beginning of the URL is important! I am using this to get my TV shows and movies from iTunes to my laptop and the HD content was becoming a bit much for my poor little 250GB hard drive.