Thread: No internet, both isp router and linksys router not working

sad No internet, both isp router and linksys router not working

Hello! I was wondering if anyone here could help me with a problem. I have a small network set up (ISP router to lynksys router, split to desktop via hardwire and other computers via wireless). This set-up has been working for some time with no problems. Just a few days ago, however, the internet went out. After several days of troubleshooting, it was discovered that nothing connected to the lynksys router would work (desktop or otherwise) and that the desktop, when plugged directly into the ISP router would not work either (by work I mean connect to the internet). Any other computer, though, when plugged into the ISP router will connect to the internet.

This appears to me that something has affected both the desktop and the router, but I don't know what that might be...

Would anyone have any ideas? I don't want to be a bother, so even a pointer in the right direction would help.

To better help any analysis, the desktop is running Windows XP, and the Linksys router has had its original software wiped and replaced with a version of Linux. We have had this setup for over a year now, and no problems. Comcast (the ISP) sent out a crew and didn't know what was going on.

Thanks!

Re: No internet, both isp router and linksys router not working

Can you try to go to cmd and type ipconfig/all and hit enter and then copy paste the ip address that you are getting here. When you say that only the desktop is not getting connected then it seems to me that the onboard lan might be at fault or perhaps its driver, have you tried removing and reinstalling the drivers again? If that doesnt work then can you try to take a pci lan and test it.

Re: No internet, both isp router and linksys router not working

Unbeknownst to me, someone else was working on this router at the same time that I was.

After defaulting the software on the router and changing the DNS settings on the desktop to automatic (somehow they got switched to manual?), everything is back up and running again.

Thank you for your help, and I apologize for not needing it.